Entry Two

They say that the proper amount of sleep is imperative to driving. They say that driving drowsy is equivalent to driving while impaired. We are taught in health class that teens need eight and a half hours of sleep to nine and a half hours of sleep each night, and yet, the place that does the teaching is the problem.

Sleep deprivation. Not having enough sleep. Living and breathing in a state of unawareness. Seeing without acknowledgement. Hearing without understanding. Breathing without living. Going through the motions. The lack of sleep is the lack of life. How dramatic.

And yet, how true. For in sleep, we learn. People brag about their ability to stay awake through the night hours. Their ability to work while the moon is up. The sun's asleep. The mind can never rest. The mind will never rest however through sleep, it earns its chance.

A's, B's, and C's, and D's. What does it matter. Who cares. I turned the paper in. I bubbled in your bubbles. I defined your magic words, now, let me sleep. Let my mind be at peace. Let my heavy head hit the white, fluffy cloud and drift off into an unreachable place. An untouchable place. A narrative. A painting in my head.

A wish, a hope, a dream. All paintings in our heads. But we still paint them. We are artists who cannot draw on paper, but use our restless minds, our sleep deprived minds, to build a world of peace. No wonder there is hatred. No wonder there is war.

Maybe we would all just get along if we just got some sleep. And yet, maybe sleep is just another painting in my head.

Thomas Hickory