Entry Twenty

While in the hospital, I had one visitor outside of my family. And that was Mason. He brought me flowers.

“I didn’t know what to bring,” he said.

“You didn’t need to bring anything. You didn’t need to come.” But I was secretly glad he did.

“Of course I would come. How could I not. I feel responsible.”

“You are, in no way, responsible,” I said awkwardly.

“I forced you to go to that game.”

“No one has ever forced me to do something I had not wanted to do. And stop putting the spotlight of sadness on you, you bastard. I was the one in the crash,” I said half-seriously.

“Is that the only insult you know? Bastard?”

“No, I just enjoy saying it,” I said smiling. He chuckled.

“When are you coming back to school, I have no one to sit with at lunch.”

“Yeah right. A football player not have friends to sit with at lunch.”

“Hey, we aren’t all popular,” he said defensively.

“Yeah, I suppose. But you are,” I said, defiantly. Our eyes met and he smiled. I continued, “Why did you sit with me at lunch? Really? I think I deserve to know.”

“To be honest? I’m not really sure. But I’m glad I did.”

“Why is that?”

“Tom…can I call you Tom?”

“Thomas will do, thanks.”

“Tommy, you can’t pretend any longer that we aren’t friends.” He sat in the chair next to my bed and was there when I fell into an oddly peaceful sleep.

Thomas Hickory