Return to Therapy

May called in the favor that Peter needed, helping him get better. So Peter left the apartment at 6:30 AM. 

“I don’t know how to describe it really, it’s like something unspeakable”, Peter said, he was laying down on a couch starring up into the ceiling as he shook his head when he talked. “It’s just so much to deal with, I didn’t even get to meet her before- before she was gone forever”. 

Peter asked, “Is it crazy that even though I didn’t meet her, there isn’t a thing I wouldn’t do to get her back in my life, to be- I don’t know, a small little family”? 

“No, any parent would trade anything to get their lost child back”, Dr. Garfs, she was writing notes on the lined piece of paper in front of her on a clipboard. “But you can’t, no matter how hard we try, we can’t get anyone back, but all you have to remember when you do have the family you want, this was just another step in the way & you will heal & get over it eventually, it just takes time”. 

“Yeah, I know”, Peter sighed, sitting up too fast for his liking & getting a small headache. 

“How is Ms. Jones doing”, Dr. Garfs asked? She had her pen in her hand, ready to write some more notes. 

“Honestly, I don’t know”, Peter said. He started to recall the past few days. “Mj just mopes & lay around the house for these few days we’ve been back, barley mumbling a word when I try talking to her & seeing if she’s doing better. She barely eats anymore, hardly ever sleeps, & she would barely ever leave our room. It’s like these wall she’s put up to ignoring everything & everyone, like . . . “. 

“Like how you were when you first started coming to me for therapy”, Dr. Garfs finished his sentence. 

Peter fell back, slouching back against the couch, “I just don’t know what to do, she’s just not acting like her old self anymore”. 

“You shouldn’t expect her to be, you two have just gone through the hardest thing any parents could do, she will be disoriented for a long time”, Dr. Garfs said. “But it does seem like she is needing to come as well, maybe bring her back next time & we can discuss more”. 

“Thank you Dr. Garfs & I’ll try to get her out of bed before 9”, Peter said. “Speaking of, it’s almost 8:30, she should be getting up soon, we’ll see you on Friday”. 

“Take care Peter”, Dr. Garfs said as she too stood up & started walking him to the door. 

Opening the door, Dr. Garfs handed Peter a pamphlet: How to Deal With the Loss of A Child. 

“Thank you”, Peter said, reaching for his back pocket & the wallet within. “Do I just pay at the front desk or do I give you the money”. 

“It’s no need Peter”, Dr. Garfs said declining the money. She whispered, “You pay by doing everything you have done for this city”. 

Dr. Garfs knew Peter was Spider-man, but he never worried about her leaking his secret. She found out a little after he first started seeing a therapist when Peter accidentally revealed he was with Tony when he died on the battlefield. 

“I’ll see you on Friday, Peter, good luck at home”, Dr. Garfs said, retreating to her room & shutting the door behind her. 

Peter walked out to his car, parked just down the road from the Therapy Clinic. Crossing the busy streets of New York while being honked at, he made his way to his car. 

He opened the door & slid into the driver’s seat, leaning the back of his head against the seat’s headrest as he closed his eyes & took a deep breath. 

After opening his eyes he started the car & he was driving back to the 2 bedroom apartment he, Mj, & May lived in. Even though he was caught in the stressful traffic of Queens, New York he still made it home before Mj had gotten out of bed. 

“May, I’m home”, Peter yelled, making his presence known. He put his keys on the rack next to the door & started walking to the kitchen, where he assumed May would be, he was right. 

“Hi honey, how’d it go”, May said, she was making pancakes, Mj’s favorite. 

“We talked & talked, just like yesterday”, Peter said, he watched the burning smoke of the pan rise to the ceiling. “It would probably be a good idea to flip them right about now”, Peter said, he pointed at the smoke covered pancakes. 

May quickly did, setting them aside to removed the burn from all of the pancakes later, “But how did it go, how are you feeling”. 

“I want to say better, but I don’t want to lie”, Peter said, his eyes jotted around the room, Mj wasn’t the only one who wasn’t comfortable with sharing her emotions. 

“I’m sorry hun”, May said, she wrapped her arms around. But after releasing him she returned to her everlasting battle against burned pancakes. 

Peter walked to his room, slowly opening the door & walking into the pitch-black room, he snuck over to his closet & changed his clothes, trying not to wake Mj because she was actually getting sleep. 

He tiptoed back to the door, trying to get out before he accidentally woke her up. 

“I’m awake you know”, Mj mumbled, a phone light lit the room up. Peter heard Mj get up from the bed & walk towards the dresser, she must have been getting dressed. 

Peter left his room, standing out in the living room waiting for the pancakes to be done. As he started walking to the kitchen, his bedroom door opened & out walked Mj. 

“Do you want some water, Mj”, Peter asked, grabbing himself a glass. She shrugged her shoulders & walked to the kitchen island, grabbing 2 pancakes & walking back to the table. 

Peter got himself a couple of pancakes, which was difficult to hold as he had his & Mj’s cups in his hands. 

“Here you go”, Peter slid the cup in front of Mj & sat down next to her. He ate his food, but Mj barely ate any & played with the rest on her plate. 

She pushed her plate out in front of her as she scooched out of the seat. 

“Mj, I know you’re hungry, I can hear your stomach growling”, Peter said, turning to her & stopping her from walking back to their room to isolate herself for the rest of the day. “You have to eat”. 

“Yeah, my stomach just doesn’t feel too good right now”, Mj said, walking around Peer & into the bathroom. 

“Maybe I should sign her up for therapy as well, she really seems to need it’, May said, staring at the bathroom door. She was very concerned about Mj because she actually felt like a daughter to May. 

“Dr. Garfs wants me to bring her next time”, Peter said, held looked down at the pamphlet she gave him. 

“Well, maybe it could help & I can get my kids back to normal”, May said, finally cracking a smile on Peter’s face. 

“Yeah, I just hope it helps her out . . . ”, Peter started, a loud crashing sound from the bathroom interrupted him. Both he & May turned to look at the door. 

They both got up & walked to the door. 

“Mj, are you okay in there, sweetie”, May asked? There was a cough, but no reply. 

“Em”, Peter asked? There was more coughing & a sound of splashing. 

He opened the door, seeing Mj on the floor, curled up as her head leaning over the toilet with chunks of pancakes & saliva dribbled from her mouth. 

“Are you okay”, Peter asked as he squatted to her level? “Are you sick, do you need some water”? 

“No”, Mj said, but as she turned to them they both knew something was happening, because as she turned to them she had a smile on her face. “I’m late”. 

A/N: So that was the end of the story & Mj is still pregnant (in case you are confused & wondering)

I hope you enjoyed reading the story!