Chapter 26 - Second Nature

Sofie's POV

The rest of the night was agonising. Shawn wouldn't even look me in the eye. I couldn't blame him, what I did was awful, especially seeing as I didn't own up.

Thankfully, Shawn kept the whole situation to himself. He didn't tell anyone what I did or what happened when him and Matt went outside. I had to be grateful for that. At least Shawn took it like a man and didn't start drama. I would've been in serious trouble then.

I hated not speaking to Shawn though. Everytime I looked at him, I knew I couldn't speak to him. I had this huge lump in my throat and I there was this huge part of me that felt so guilty. Who wouldn't in my case?

All I wanted was for Shawn to forgive me. But like he said, it would take time. I didn't want to wait for long, I just wanted him to forgive me for the stupid mistake I made. It was an accident. Id swear on my life that it was.

I felt so alone for the rest of the night. I shouldn't be complaining though, I deserved it. Shawn and Matt wouldn't speak to me and I couldn't face anybody else; I would have to tell them what happened if I did. So I sat back down, scrolling through my phone like I had something to look at, which I definitely didn't.

Eventually, everyone got bored and decided to go back to the hotel, so we all grabbed our stuff, said bye to Kalea and Cassidy and travelled back to the hotel.

I walked a little but behind everyone else, my arms folded across my chest, keeping to myself. I was watching every step I took on the corridor carpet, contemplating what I should do about the whole Shawn situation.

Suddenly, I heard footsteps next to mine and saw a pair of Vans walking next to mine. I looked up and saw Nash strolling next to me, half-smiling down at me. "You okay?" he whispered, his eyes full of sincere concern. I shrugged, unable to make up an answer. How was I supposed to reply to that?

I shoved my hands in my pockets and simply replied with "I'm fine". I should've come up with a plausible or convincing answer, seeing as Nash can read me like an open book. He had a look of skepticism on his face, not believing what I said at all. I didn't really believe what I said either. I was upset and guilty, nobody could expect me to be jumping around and grinning from ear to ear.

"What's wrong?" Nash asked me, hoping to get a reasonable answer, something I didn't think I could give him. "You can tell me". I wanted to tell him so badly, but I couldn't face the shame. I felt like I was somehow lying to him by not telling him.

"Look Nash, it's my own problem and I have to deal with it. I don't want to drag you into it" I sighed, walking at a faster pace so he got left behind. Nash rushed up to me though, determined to keep speaking to me.

"I don't mind getting dragged into things" he said with a smirk, oblivious of the seriousness of the information he was asking for. I couldn't blame him for being clueless about the whole thing.

"Please, Nash, just stay out of it" I murmured, picking up my pace again, although this time, Nash didn't follow me. I felt horrible for being so rude and dishonest to him, but I didn't want him to know what I had done.

We finally entered our warm hotel room, quickly getting settled on our beds. Matt didn't speak to me at all, although I hardly blame him. Hayes was being as annoying as ever and Nash kept glancing at me, probably wondering how I was.

I sat down on my bed and pulled my knees up to my chest, texting some of my friends from Virginia. I couldn't properly focus on anything. I hated myself for what I did. I should've told Shawn, even though I only broke one string. I just wanted to practise to surprise him but no, typical me had to go fuck everything up.

---

Later that night, Matt finally decided to speak to me. He approached me with caution, like I was a bomb counting down to blow up. Matt then awkwardly said "Um, Sofie? Can I speak to you please?". I nodded and followed him outside to the hall, gaining glances from the two Grier brothers.

Matt shut the door behind us and immediately begun to speak. "Please tell me you have a real excuse for all this" he pleaded, looking at me with upset eyes.

"It was an accident! I just wanted to surprise Shawn by practising the guitar but then one of the strings broke and-" Matt stopped me there, his eyes wide. "You only broke one string?" he asked me in shock. I nodded, a little confused. I thought that's why they were mad, because I broke a string.

Matt breathed a huge sigh of relief, a relaxed smile on his face. "What?" I asked in a puzzled tone. "You only broke one string" he stated. "Shawn's guitar is in pieces. It's practically shattered. Shawn shouldn't be mad at you because you weren't even the one who broke his guitar".

That was a lot to take in. This whole time I had this pang of guilt inside me, but all for nothing. "What about the string. I still broke that". Matt looked at me like I was stupid. "Strings can be replaced in minutes, Sofie" he replied matter-of-factly.

"So who broke Shawn's guitar?" I asked, a whole new problem on our hands. Matt shook his head, as if he was shaking the idea out of his mind. "Nevermind that for now. We need to tell Shawn". And with that, Matt grabbed on to my wrist and dragged me next door to Shawn's hotel room.

Matt knocked on the door loudly, impatient for an answer. Cameron swung open the door and let us in, confused as to why we were in such a rush.

I spotted Shawn and raced over to him, Matt at my heels. "What do you want?" he asked in a glum and angry tone, clearing not wanting anything to do with me at that moment.

"Shawn, I have good news. I wasn't the one who broke your guitar". Shawn looked as confused as ever, not fully believing what had just come out of my mouth. "What do you mean?" he asked warily, eying me.

"The night your guitar was broken was the night you were teaching me guitar, right? So, while I was practising, you kind of dozed off-offence taken-and I continued playing. But then, one of the strings broke and I panicked and left. I was just trying to practice to surprise you and show you that I was capable of playing guitar too. So, I wasn't the one who broke your guitar, although I thought I was. All I broke was a string" I finished, exhaling loudly after my long epilogue.

Shawn's confused face soon turned into a smile, one that was relieved and calm, not forced or fake. He pulled me into a hug, his arms wrapped around me. I hated not speaking to Shawn, even if it was just for a night. As cliché and cheesy as it sounds, I missed being in his arms.

I pecked his lips softly, my arms snaking around his neck like it was second nature to me. I could hear Matt clear his throat loudly and obnoxiously so I let go of Shawn reluctantly.

"Look, I'm glad you guys are cool again, but no smooching in front of me, alright?" Matt asked with his arms folded across his chest, gaining a laugh from Shawn and I. I was glad too.

*****

Heeeyyyyyy readers! Thanks for reading and if you enjoyed, please vote, comment and share. Thank you 😘 xx