Chapter 9

Shuichi's POV

 Kokichi and I were walking home from the cafe to our dorm, our hands intertwined. The night sky was clear, hundreds of stars neatly scattered across the sky making a calming light. Kokichi's purple eyes sparkled brightly in the dim moon light of the night sky. I caught myself staring at him causing a faint blush to appear on my face.

 "It's rude to stare Shumai~" he teased, catching me off guard.

 "A-Ah sorry!" I stuttered.

 "I'm just joking~" he laughed.

 I sighed and we soon reached our dorm, we walked in and got ready for bed. I laid in bed staring at the bottom of Kokichi's bunk, soon getting lost in my thoughts and drifting to sleep.

 I opened my eyes to see myself in a familiar dream once again. Everything was black, nothing could be seen within my line of sight. I sat down and held my knees to my chest, resting my head on top. If I stayed here nothing could harm me right? I felt a pair of hands gently place on my shoulders, I froze in place.

 I shakily moved my hands to be place on top of theirs and turned around slowly. I saw a familiar face behind me, Kaede Akamatsu. She had a kind smile on, the blood and scars that normally appear are gone. I thought maybe this time it was different, I stood up and turned around to face her.

 "Kaede I-" I began to shortly be cut off.

 "Shut up Shuichi. It's your fault everybody died, you couldn't save anybody," she said coldly.

 "I-I," I only managed to stutter.

 "You promised to carry on my wish and escape that hell hole with everybody else but, you didn't. You broke our promise and let them all die Shuichi," she continued.

 "I'm sorry," I mumbled.

 "Look at you now, still as pathetic as you were then. Crying and throwing yourself a pity party because nobody else cares," she scoffed.

 "She's right sidekick," a voice said.

 I quickly turned around to see Kaito standing behind me, no blood or scars on his body either. All I could do was stare, my entire body had frozen up in the moment unable to move.

 "I told you to send me off with a smile and you couldn't manage that? It's your fault Gonta got killed too, if you kept your mouth shut things could have been different too! I could have lived and Kokichi's plan would have worked," he shouted.

 "I didn't know I-" I got cut off again.

 "Shumai," a oh so familiar voice said.

 I turned around quickly once again, Kaede and Kaito suddenly vanished. Kokichi was standing in the distance with a gentle smile. Without thinking my feet began moving on their own and I made my way over to Kokichi.

 "Kokichi I-" he suddenly grabbed my throat, giving my a devilish grin.

 "When will you learn you never helped anybody? You couldn't save them and now look at you stuck in your own pity. They're all leaving you, you know," his grip tightened on my throat.

 I looked past Kokichi to see Maki and Himiko smiling at me, they slowly turned around and began walking away. They were leaving me, moving on without me. It's not there fault that they all died it was mine but, I want to go with them.

 "Maki, Himiko wait!" I shouted, my mouth soon covered by another hand.

 "Be quiet Shuichi, stay here with us," Kaede whispered, one hand on my shoulder the other over my mouth.

 Soon other people's hands raised from the ground holding me down, Kokichi still having a firm grip on my throat. I squirmed trying to breathe and break free from their grips. I felt a warm stream of tears go down my face as Maki and Himiko soon became out of sight. Everything began to go blurry before I passed out.

 I suddenly woke up in a cold sweat, tears streaming down my face. I quickly looked around the room and remembered where I was, Kokichi and I's dorm. I sat in silence to soon hear Kokichi's soft snores, I pulled my knees to my chest and began to sob. I'm guessing my sobs woke up Kokichi because I heard him moving in his bed.

 "Shuichi? Why are you crying at 2 in the morning?" he wondered tired, looking down at me from the top bunk.

 "I had a bad dream," I mumbled.

 Kokichi rolled off the top in my bunk, landing in front of me. He stared at me for a moment before taking my hands into his.

 "What was it about?" he asked softly.

 "The same as usual," I said quietly, tears continuing to pour.

 "Shuichi," he said softly, placing a hand on my cheek.

 "I-I couldn't save anybody, they all died because of me. I broke the promise I made to Kaede and if kept my stupid mouth shut your plan would have worked and Kaito could have lived," I sobbed, practically melting into Kokichi's touch.

 "Shuichi it is not your fault that any of that happened. Look now, everybody is alive and well. You did amazing as the ultimate detective, what did I tell you before? Telling the truth is sometimes harder than hearing the truth at all," he smiled.

 "Maybe i-if I tried harder things could have been different," I cried some more.

 "Shuichi stop blaming yourself! Most of those cases were out of your control and you revealed the painful truth even if nobody wanted to hear it to save them! If you kept your mouth shut everybody would have died including you!" he argued.

 "Maybe it would have been better if I died," I sighed with a painful laugh.

 "Don't you ever say that again you hear me! I love you so much and you did the best you ever could, nothing more could have been done!" he shouted, scattering my face with kisses.

 "Y-You're right I'm sorry," I sighed.

 Kokichi looked at me lovingly and slowly leaned into a kiss, holding both of my hands. I melted into the kiss, it felt like calming waves washed over my body every time our lips touched. Kokichi soon made his way into my lap, wrapping his arms around my neck. I wrapped my arms around his waist and pulled him close. Our lips moved in sync, pure love and affection was shared between this moment. We soon pulled away and stared at each other lovingly for a few moments, smiling like idiots.

 "I love you," Kokichi smiled, wiping my remaining tears away.

 "I love you too," I smiled, pulling him into a gentle hug.

 We stayed like that for a while, he played with my hair as I rested my head on his shoulder. I felt Kokichi rub circles on my back as I pulled him closer, I felt tired and wanted to stay like this for a while.

 "Thank you Kokichi, I feel better now," I smiled, pulling away and kissing his cheek.

 "Anything for my beloved Shumai~" he laughed.

 We then fell backwards onto the bed and went under the covers. Kokichi rested his head on chest and we tangled our legs together. I soon heard Kokichi's gentle snores which helped me fall into a gentle sleep as well.