Blood and Roses

On my bed and in the trash can were tattered pieces of red flower petals stained with red blood...

My body started to shake uncontrollably as I gathered the petals in my hand. They were wet from being thrown up. I quickly threw them into the trash can and wiped at my mouth, hoping this was all just a bad dream. There was blood on the back of my hand. No no no. This had to just be a bad dream right? I just had to wake up. I had to be asleep. I pinched my arm hard, trying to wake myself up. It didn't work and now my arm hurt. Was I really awake? I sat in bed with my head in my hands for what seemed like forever before I realized I really wasn't asleep. Those petals were real. That blood was real. My heart raced as I opened my computer to research whatever was going on with me, because I was sure as hell I hadn't ate any flowers recently for that to happen. Only one thing came up. A disease called Hanahaki which was stated to be a myth. More research came up with a site with a few known cases.
"The illness is caused by a one sided love. Only two cures are known. The first is a invasive surgery to remove the parasitic plant from the hosts lungs. Side affects to that can cause infection in the lungs, shortness of breath, periodic times of coughing blood after surgery, and loss of abilities to love. The second cure is for the person the host had feelings for to admit their feelings back. The disease starts in the lungs, forming as a single sprout and its roots attach deep in the tissue of the lungs. Once it starts to bloom the host will begin to feel as if they have something like a cold, coughing fits and sore throat is the main symptoms. As the plant grows more it can cause bleeding from the cough when coughing, exhaustion, and light headedness. The more the plan progresses the worse the symptoms get. Once the host starts vomiting any sort of petals or thorns they are expected to have 2 to 3 months left to live before the parasite completely destroys their lungs and throat, in a certain term suffocating them."
I shut my laptop and once again buried my face against my hands. I had a parasitic plant in my lungs? And this thing was slowly killing me? I didn't have just a simple cold. I was really dying. I pulled myself out of my bed and padded towards the room Sal occupied. My hand stopped at the knob before I decided to knock softly on the door.
"Come in." His voice sounded heavy, as if I woke him up. I opened the door to see him sitting up in bed, his mask was haphazardly thrown on, since the buckles were done wrong. And he had a hand over one of his eyes since his glass eye sat in a cup beside him.
"I didn't mean to wake you." I swallowed hard.
"You're good. You still not feeling well? Or did you have another nightmare?"
"A little bit of both?"
Sal moved over in his bed and patted the spot beside him. I gave him a questioning look.
"Come on. Just for a little bit. Its not the first time we've shared a bed Y/N." He pointed out. I sighed and got in beside him, trying to keep some distance between our body's under the cover. I had to remind myself it was okay to cuddle with your best friend. I'd done it with Ash and Larry so many times before. This was no different. "I'm going to have my prosthetic back off. Promise me you won't look okay?"
"Oh yeah. Of course Sal." I heard the buckle of the mask be undone before Sal reached over me and sat it on the nightstand beside me. I kept my eyes close and turned away from him so I couldn't see his face.
"Sorry. I know it's a little weird. But especially with my eye out right now I look really bad. I know I've showed Larry and Ash has seen my face maybe once. But I'm still uncomfortable with it you know?"
"It takes time to heal Sally. I get it. You know I'm not going to force you to show me your face. I'm not going to invade your privacy by looking. You know that."
"I know Y/N. I appreciate it." I felt his arm wrap around me, his body getting slightly closer to mine. I felt my cheeks heat up but thankfully in the darkness he couldn't see. Soon I heard him snoring softly behind me and I couldn't help smile to myself. I got myself comfortable and closed my eyes. I had wanted to tell him. But he wouldn't believe me. Instead I just accepted the comfort that washed over my body as I took in his scent beside me. My eyelids got heavy and before I knew it I was sleep, still wrapped in his arms.