Chapter 13

Killian was a decent kisser. He was no Regina, but he was good enough to let her forget about Regina kissing Mal for a second. He'd cupped her cheek and their tongues had found each other. Her hand was on his back.

Suddenly, Emma heard wooing behind them, so they pulled apart and Mal and Regina were approaching. Mal looked ecstatic. Regina definitely not. Emma was still holding Killian's shirt and he flashed her a confused glare, so she let go of him.

"Well, Killian's dream has come true," Mal said and chuckled as she put her nose against Regina's cheek. "Now everyone's got someone. We can go triple dating," she added and pressed her lips against Regina's skin.

"Emma, can I talk to you for a moment?" Regina asked, but Emma didn't respond. It hadn't been her intention for Regina to see this kiss. She just craved someone's touch other than Regina's, after seeing the brunette get it on with Mal. Regina probably thought this was some stunt of Emma's to make her jealous, but that hadn't been what she'd tried at all.

"I'd like to talk to you, as well, Emma," Killian said and Emma looked apologetically at Regina, before she pulled Killian along with her, over the pavement.

"Sorry," she muttered when she passed Regina and when they were far enough away from them Killian started speaking.

"What was that?!" he asked. "I mean, it was nice, but why? Did you want to make Regina jealous?"

"No, no!" Emma quickly said. "I'm not that toxic. I just.. I felt upset because they'd been together all day and I just wanted someone as well. Even if it was just for a second. I'm sorry, I basically harassed you."

"I've been wanting to know how you kiss from the moment I saw you and you knew that too. Don't worry about it."

Emma sighed and looked at Mal and Regina, who were still standing in front of the cottage. Regina was staring at her and she felt embarrassment creeping up, though she had no reason to.

"Have you ever been in love?" Emma asked and looked at Killian. She started walking and Killian followed her. She couldn't handle Regina's judging gaze anymore. The girl had no reason to judge her.

"Yes," Killian replied. "And I know how it feels not to be together with the person you're in love with."

"I would not, because I'm not in love with Regina or anyone," Emma said, "but I'm sorry that you had to go through that. Did you.. tell the girl, or boy, you loved them?"

Killian clenched his jaw. They were walking towards the lake and Emma wanted to turn around to see if Regina was still staring at them, but she managed to control herself. She didn't need Regina's attention.

"A girl," Killian said. "Her name is Milah. We were going out and dating a bit and things were going pretty well, but I got scared, I guess. I had all these feelings and I didn't know how to cope with them, so I started ghosting her."

"Oh, my God, Killian, that's really low," Emma said. "When did the happen?"

"Right before summer vacation."

"So, you still have a good shot at fixing it?" Emma asked. "Look, you don't even have to date her or anything, but she at least deserves to know why you backed out. You should text her."

Killian groaned, but grabbed his phone. Emma smiled and stopped walking. She sat down on the grass, her back turned to Regina, who had stopped watching her.

Regina was sitting on the picnic table that was placed in the garden of Mal and Killian's cottage. Mal had her hands on Regina's lap. "Sometimes.. I still can't believe this is real," Mal said and Regina smiled. "Of all the places in France you could've visited, this was the one. At the same time as I'm here."