Chapter 4 - Pandora's Peril

We passed over the Ruwenzori Mountains the next day. I was a little disappointed because the peaks were enshrouded with clouds. I decided to travel with Dr. Travis because he would be in his botanical element. Thick, yellow moss covered the slopes heavy with vegetation.

"Rebecca. Look at this," Dr. Travis excitedly called me over to the small tree by which he stood.

"What is it? It looks rather like a lobelia."

"It is a lobelia. It is usually only about half of a meter, but look at it! It is over six meters tall. Nearly seven meters! Amazing." He was busy sketching and note taking.

I could not appreciate the beauty of this place as Thomas could, but I admired the grandeur of everything around me. We saw a few chimpanzees, monkeys, and elephants while we were on the lower part of the slopes, but these disappeared as we climbed a little more. It began to rain in the afternoon which made the journey up the mountain a little more difficult. We discovered more mud pools about knee deep. I was anxious to reach Pandora's Peril and was very tired of traveling especially when it was raining like this. The further we climbed, the cooler it became, making the rain cold and penetrating.

"Thomas, tell me more about the tribe we are studying," I asked to distract myself.

"Actually, they are two tribes. The BoMbo and BaBali." I practiced the two words on my tongue. "Geoff considers them as one tribe although they live somewhat separate. On the eastern border lies the Semliki River, which we shall soon cross. On the western border of their territory lies the Ituri River. They are, I believe Efe Pygmies...."

I remembered reading something of Pygmies, much of which was positively untrue. I read that they had wings and had the ability to make themselves invisible. Not only that, but they were tiny creatures. I was very young at the time, but I found a book in my uncle's library by a Mr. Edward Tyson, who studied anatomy and somehow obtained a skeleton that he claimed was that of a Pygmie and declared that it was not at all human but animal. When my uncle noticed my interest in the book, he brought me to the museum in London where the skeleton was preserved.

"Are they humans?" I asked Dr. Travis.

"They most certainly are. Your friend, Njobo, is a pygmy."

"Oh heavens! The nonsense that they put into museums these days! Is there anything accurate that is published about this place? Have you read Mr. Edward Tyson's book?"

Dr. Travis laughed. "Mr. Tyson writes inflammatory falsehoods! Every copy of his book should be used as tinder. However, they are not Christians, Rebecca. They practice witchcraft and sorcery as part of their religious and healing practices. Do not travel far from the camp once we get there. They are known for cannibalism. If you want to know the medicinal value of some of the plant life, or even how to make a good ale, I will gladly educate you," he smiled knowingly.

"Njobo has never threatened to eat me for lunch, and I trust him with my life, as does Geoff. But I will always stay nearby," I smiled.

"Do you remember one of the stories that Majwara told us? The one about the first Ugandan king?"

"Kintu, yes. Quite well."

"Do you remember where the peasant man found Kintu?"

"In a clearing surrounded by thick trees not far from a river," I supplied.

"Some have said that Pandora's Peril is the very location that the peasant found Kintu."