Chapter 13 - Fetching Endymion

A/N: I think this is my favorite chapter in this book. I hope you like it too!

********************

The simple, unassuming facade of Saltram at Plymouth appealed to me in my search for simplicity and logic. Approaching from the west one might think Saltram to be plain, but upon closer inspection, one marvels at the elaborate plasterwork. It is a mid-eighteenth century mansion that holds fantastic treasures. Italian plasterwork adorns the hall and morning room; the latter hangs with rich red Genoa velvet and is littered with paintings and pictures. The two-story saloon is the sweetest pale blue, carefully laid with settees and gilt chairs, the carpet of which was woven to reflect the ceiling. The dining hall is a low room; the ceiling here is also reflected by the carpet. The bedrooms speak of Geoff's refined taste in foreign art and are decorated variously with India paper or Chinese painted glass.

There was little that I could add to Saltram without destroying its subtle beauty and undeniable comfort. But the servants that I brought with me from London occupied themselves with cleaning the outside of the mansion, knowing that I hated to see the bright facade dirty. Dead leaves blew about carefree despite the beckoning of the barren trees. Many of the paintings in the morning room had yet to be properly dusted, as did many of the bedrooms. Once these things were cared for and I had established myself, I sent for Mr. Brockton, my lawyer and advisor to see what kind of allowance I would be working with. Could I afford a full staff? What about the tenants? What kind of luxuries could I afford and how much entertaining could I do?

"You may set your mind at ease," he smiled. "You have not spent any of your great-uncle's inheritance. On that alone you could manage fully staffed and satisfying your tenants. You also have the profits from your artwork which you have not touched either. Your investments are providing a handsome return. Mind you, there cannot be a tremendous amount of lavish entertainment, but there is no need to deny your guests what high society requires for comfort."

"Needless to say, I shall not be entertaining for several months to come anyway. Once I am out of mourning, I would like to find a place in London for the seasons. Have we enough for that?"

"You will need to have the greater part of the staff with you if you do so, leaving only a skeleton staff at the home you vacate. This is the highest figure you can manage if you take a place in London." He wrote the number down and I put it with the rest of my books for future reference. Come spring I would begin my search and soon after I would begin furnishing my new residence. There was so much in storage that I doubted I would have to spend much to do so.

"Thank you, Mr. Brockton. I think that should do for now. I will contact you if I require anything more."

"Please do so. And Lady Ramsay, I know you are a capable woman, but if there is any matter that bewilders you, let me be of service to you. My daughter is yet your age and I shouldn't like to imagine her handling such matters alone as you are."

"You are very kind. I won't hesitate to do so."

In view of his long service to my family and his excellent judgment, I requested Fennell accompany me in my visits to the tenants. While he made lists of repairs to be made and spoke to the men about the drainage and the roof and the insulation, I conversed with mothers and widows and children about the school and the illnesses and the aging floors. All in all, things had not fallen into a complete state of disrepair. But with the first snows not far off, much needed to be done in little time. By enlisting the aid of many able young men and having a large amount of money at his disposal, Fennell orchestrated the necessary repairs before the first big snowfall. I enlisted the assistance of our kitchen staff, my famed cook included, to bake breads and sweets along with hams and turkeys for the Christmas holidays; sending gifts of quilts and blankets and pretty new curtains pleased many old hens. After extending invitations to the Ingrams and Dr. Glentyre and his wife for a quiet family holiday, I began to prepare for festivities at Saltram itself. I received an invitation to spend the holidays at Alnwick but declined. There was still much to do here and I had little desire to make the long journey north after so recently returning.