Chapter 15 - Love and Ghosts

Alexander returned from business in Somerset early and discovered me in my studio with Lord Cavendish and his friend, Mr. Davidovich, who held some embassy position. They wanted to pose as Prince Wenceslas and St. Vitus just before Wenceslas tossed him over the Charles Bridge. Alex recognized Cavendish with a nod and then crossed to me, as I was desperately trying to wipe away the paint so he could greet me. His steps did not pause.

"No, no! I'm covered with paint. My lord!" I protested as he reached out.

He took me in his arms without hesitation. "The last time I let that stop me was at a fort above an apple orchard and I regretted it for months." His fingers twisted back a curl of errant blond hair wet with brown-green paint. He caressed my cheek with that finger and spread a little paint on my face. He smiled. "One day soon, I will paint your naked body," he whispered as he bent to kiss me. I sighed and didn't care about my subjects anymore. His mouth belonged with mine. "How much longer will you be?"

I glanced back and my subjects were tossing aside their costumes and waving goodbye. "They are gone."

"Good, because I want to hear you make a very particular sound that I've missed. Remember what we did in Lady Norcroft's solarium that night?" Alex's eyes drank in the softness of my eyes and the redness of my lips as my sigh caught in my throat. "Yes," he murmured, "keep trying." My fingers slid to the nape of his neck and drew fanciful shapes and let the warmth of my mouth invade his and he groaned and uttered: "Sweet Christ, you are perfect."

"Remember the carriage ride back from the theater three weeks ago?" I teased back. He remembered, knowing precisely how to gather my passions and bring them as an army against his own until I capitulated with breathless surrender.

Betsy and Will journeyed to Brympton D'Evercy along with their children from Alnwick to congratulate us personally.

"I told you I would get you the best man in Europe," Betsy winked.

"What did you have to do with all of this?" I asked in disbelief

"As much as you had to do with Will and me."

"I introduced you, at least," I objected. "We just happened to see each other at Alnwick."

"And you think that was an accident?" she raised her brows.

"Regardless, I am convinced that he is the best man in all of Europe. He leaves me amazed at every turn."

"Ha-ha!" she laughed. "And you should have heard him when he first came to Alnwick and told us he was going to marry you."

"It feels a bit like a dream," I smiled. "What did he say?"

"Actually, he was closeted up with Will. But from what Will asked me, he had many questions about your family and if there was anything he should know about your marriage to Geoff."

I imagined that he consulted with Will about the Dr. Travis affair. "What could you have said to that?"

"He knows that Geoff did not touch you. And that you are all alone in this big world," she added melodramatically.

"As long as you didn't tell him anything personal," I retorted with sarcasm.

"He can't seem to stop smiling. You see?" I watched him talking to Will and how his eyes glittered when he looked my way.

"This time is so different. It really doesn't even seem that I was married before. I know that sounds bizarre."

"Has he said anything about children?"