Chapter 16 - Cupid and Psyche

Having to bury her son twice was more than Mrs. Ramsay could handle. Before a month had passed, she had suffered a severe stroke and remained mostly incapacitated. Her sisters came to her aid instantly.

"His uncle keeps the title, but you inherit every penny," Brockton stated. "His uncle is a man of little means, and has prepared documents leaving your ladyship in charge. You don't get the title, but you can have all of the responsibilities that come therewith," he laughed.

"I am weary of this world. If that is his uncle's intention, I intend to close up everything, hire a few estate managers to handle things for some time."

"What are you planning to do with yourself?"

"I shall leave England for a bit. Travel Europe and perhaps the Orient."

"You may enjoy Italy, I would think," he suggested.

"There is nothing more that needs to be done here at Coughton Court?"

"No. I will tidy up the papers and wait to hear from you at your leisure."

"I will be at Saltram to close the house. I trust you can find managers for both estates. Bertram Charfield came highly recommended, though I hear he is hard to get. Make it worth his while; an estate well-run is worth the expense on the top end. As I said, you may find me in Plymouth for the next few weeks."

I was sad to be without Geoff now. I was sad to be alone again. Uncertainty about the future wore on me. Would I remarry? What has occupied Mr. Northover? Upon arriving at Saltram, I sent to Brympton requesting an interview with Mr. Northover at his convenience. Meanwhile, I found positions for most of my staff and sent them packing with tears.

"Have you any news from Brympton?" I asked Mrs. Fennell as she collected her belongings. It had been three weeks and Mr. Northover had not responded to my message. It was the matter that weighed most on my heart and the issue that was the last to be resolved.

"Don't trouble yourself with those thoughts," she patted my hand. "Mr. Northover offered Miss Whittfield a proposal last month."

I offered a sardonic laugh at this information. "I imagined as much. I shall say my goodbye and be off to the continent, if he cares to respond to my message at all."

"Good luck to you, ma'am. It has been a pleasure to be in your employ."

Saltram was now desolate. My footsteps resounded as if I needed a reminder of my solitude. Cook peered out of the window at the approaching of horses' hooves. Mr. Northover's carriage was outside. She raised her brows significantly and, after she saw him into the foyer, I waved her from the room. He looked around at the furniture and chandeliers now covered, and knew that the reason I had yet lingered here was for him alone.

"Good morning," I smiled. "I am closing the place up and have sent all but the cook away." I was so tempted to embrace him, but he stood stiffly at the entrance.

"I have heard of your loss and I am sorry you have had to go through it again," he said formally.

"The second time is not so bad. Come join me in the morning room." My voice was familiar; his was distant. He shook his head in refusal and looked about.

"You never found a place for that painting you begged from me." He pointed to 'Endymion' which was about to be packed up.

"It looked at home where I found it at Brympton. But regardless, I wanted to give you these two paintings in exchange for it as we originally agreed. I had Mr. Prescott find this one." I showed him the painting of the River Lethe, the River of Forgetfulness. "And to replace the Greek piece, I have made this one for you. It is Cupid and Psyche: Her final labor to bring Aphrodite the box of beauty, the task that nearly killed her and brought Cupid to her side at last."