Chapter 14 - London Society

Brigham, Mr. Northover's man, though a large and imposing curiosity to the rest of the staff, was quite gentle at heart. He and Caesar got on quite well despite the initial growling from the latter and irritated disinterest from the former. It was not long before Brigham had taught the dog to be more like a canine than the feline that Hetty wished him to become. I tauaght him to sit and heel, but little else, in truth, of value. This was promptly corrected by our addition. Whatever his purpose, a few of my maids had fallen in love with him, causing several staff meetings on attention to one's occupation and the privilege of employment for such a generous mistress. Mrs. Fennell was stern when it came to order among her girls, and she handled the problems with little direction from me.

"Madame, please be kind and let me know if these rumors are true that Mr. Brigham is here to relieve me. After my years of service to you and the late Lord Ramsay, I hoped to have earned so much." Mr. Fennell begged my presence one afternoon. He had always served the Ramsay household since his youth.

"Indeed not! You and your wife are the cornerstone of this household. Your services are not in jeopardy. Mr. Brigham's presence is only temporary, and only to relieve the mind of another gentleman who has told me that there is a dangerous character about the area."

"I imagined him a thief the way he peers about the windows and entrances. I should have come to you sooner to allay my fears," Fennell confessed.

"Set them aside, old friend. Brigham is a good sort, so have the servants do as he bids for the duration of his stay. And when you and Mrs. Fennell choose to retire, you shall do so in your own time and in complete comfort." He smiled broadly as did I.

While I sat at the fire reading the papers and the mail, new locks were installed and security measures were added to the windows as well. Though I did not order such things, I insisted on taking the bill, which seemed to offend Brigham greatly.

"Mr. Northover insisted I do whatever necessary without crossing you or adding any expenses to you."

"Mr. Northover can fetch the bill from me if he so desires, until that time the matter is closed between us. Understand?" He nodded briefly making a notation in his tiny journal and left me. These locks were not the only things that let me sleep at night. Our guest's presence offered peace and confidence. I recalled the feelings that swept over me as Njobo and I ran from the BoMbo village during Kondabate's induction ceremony. The furtive sideways glances, the perked ears and tingling nerves were not senses I cared to exercise regularly.

"What do the boys tell you when they run to you and whisper in your ear, Mr. Brigham?" I asked while I tripped down the steps of Saltram to enjoy a brisk walk. He paid for the knowledge of teenaged tenants.

"I am a birdwatcher, Lady Ramsay. They tell me when they spy –,"

"No lies. I do not tolerate lying. Tell me what they see." I was curt with him.

"Some see strangers about. Some see a man who will pay them for what he desires to hear," the giant said quietly.

"Mr. Northover is right to trust you. Might I ask your credentials?"

"I have none." He paused. "I worked in his stables and prevented one fire and two thieves from making off with the master's own horse."

"And yet there is more to your story. You have a personal attachment to him."

"I was present when his father expired. It was a terrible accident." His voice was full of memories. I did not speak but let the silence between us beg it from him. "They were riding back from Mrs. Wren's place, fast and furious down a steep hill." I remembered that Mr. Northover enjoyed a brisk ride, indeed. "Mission, Mr. Northover's horse, slid and broke his leg, and he was tossed over Mission's head. The horse crushed him from toe to crown. Mr. Alex couldn't pull the wounded horse off of his father. When I caught up, I managed to roll Mission as Mr. Alex pushed Mr. Northover from under the beast. Never in my life have I seen that look in a man's eyes as I did that day, such fierce determination. As his father was bleeding to death, Mr. Alex and I carried him home, promising his father would be right again in no time. He died in his own bed, and that's all Mr. Alex wanted, all he could do."