Chapter 2 - The Journey Into the Interior

Geoff was more than impatient to begin the trek into the wild, and Charles took his leave promising to bring my love to his sister, Hetty, and my brother, Philip. Joshua kindly allowed me to borrow a few books, though he restricted me from certain sections of the library. He seemed more secretive regarding his possessions than protective of my relative innocence.

Early one morning, while it was still dark, I awoke alone in bed and wondered when Geoff had left the bedroom. I padded down the stairs following Geoff's voice. Dr. Holkin's house was a blanket of darkness that had substance in itself.

"Geoffrey?" I whispered. I had followed the voices until they hushed in recognition of my intrusion. The fire was nearly out; blue and red coals begged for more food, despondent from neglect. I could not see even a shadow, so I had to assume that they were seated on either side of the fireplace. "Geoff?" I repeated hoping to follow his voice.

"Go back to bed, Emma," Geoff harshly replied.

"Are you feeling ill, Geoff?" I felt my guard rise, blinded as I was. I could see his shadow stand, hands clenched at his sides. I began to walk toward him, his face was lost in darkness, his sharp profile sketched in the orange glow of coals.

"Rebecca, I am caring for your husband. Now do as he says and go to bed," Dr. Holkin quietly ordered. I could see the roundness of Joshua's eyeglasses now reflect the dim light.

I ignored Dr. Holkin. "Geoff, what can I do to help you?"

"Whore," was his almost silent whisper. Suddenly the ability to disappear into darkness was rather welcoming.

"Dr. Holkin?" My voice was small.

"He is not well, Rebecca. Go back to bed."

"But what is wrong with him?" I whispered, moving so that Joshua was now between us.

"Go now or the situation will escalate." All I could do was obey. I climbed the stairs and tried to make out what they were saying. The heaviness of the black night ate their words and I fell asleep to their murmuring.

I felt the house become light and immediately awoke from my less than comfortable position. My forehead rested on the balusters, the weight of my chin fell onto my knees. Sunlight and silence. My body decided that it had been rather ill-used and protested as I stood and stretched. Again I padded down the stairs and peeked around. No one. The morning sun was now streaming through the curtains. The yellow light warmed my legs so I lifted my head and clasped my hands together over my head and basked in it.

"Ahem."

I quickly pulled my robe close until it was pressing against my neck. "Good morning, Dr. Holkin. How is Geoff? Why was he acting strangely?" I came toward him.

"Geoff is off to Zanzibar to purchase our necessities for the journey. He has ordered me to keep you inside my home at all times, no excuses."

I sat on the couch and looked up at him. "But why? And why did he not want me to go with him to Zanzibar?"

"He felt that he could not properly watch over you while he was engaging in so many business transactions. He felt you would be...," he searched for a word, "safer here."

"But why prohibit me from exploring Mombasa?"

"I suppose he doesn't want to make the same mistake twice."

"What mistake?" I said with a clipped voice.

"One of the Europeans he brought on the last expedition could not be trusted and caused him great trouble when left unsupervised. So Rebecca, can I trust you or do you need to be locked in your room?" He displayed the keys; it was no idle threat. I shook my head. My experience climbing out windows was my own secret.