22

We spend the night at the Wreck. I have a hard time sleeping. I can't get my mind off of John B. He's out there somewhere being hunted by the cops for something he didn't do. He just learned his dad is actually dead and now he is being framed for murder. He hasn't been able to catch a break all summer.

JJ and I stand in the doorway. Watching as the occasional cop car goes by. All morning sirens have been blaring.

I look at JJ. "We follow this through to the end, but we have to be careful."

JJ nods his head. "I'm always careful."

I give him a look. He cracks a small smile. "I promise I will be careful."

"Thank you. Everyone on this island is gunning for him," I state.

"I don't know about that. He's pinched for sure, man," JJ states.

Pope walks over towards JJ and I, having just woken up. "No. They wouldn't still be patrolling if they caught him," Pope insists.

"Let's hope," JJ offers.

"You know, we were in that car. They're probably looking for us, too," Kie states.

"Well, if we're gonna be outlaws, we might as well help John B," Pope states.

"So, find him before they do?" I say. Pope grabs a set of keys from the table. "Pope?"

He starts to walk away. "I'm gonna get gas for the boat."

"Hey, you be careful. Okay?" Kie tells him.

Pope ignores her and turns to JJ and I. "Meet me at the dock at three. Don't be late."

He walks out the door and Kie follows after him. "Okay, what is your problem?"

"No problem, Officer. I'm just doing my job," Pope states as he gets on the motorbike.

"Look, I'm sorry that I hurt your feelings," Kie states.

Pop revs the engine. " What was that?"

"Look, I didn't mean to," Kie says.

Pope keeps revving the engine. "Sorry, I can't hear you. What was that?"

"Pope, I'm being serious..." Kie starts. Pope revs the engine again. "I'm trying to talk to you!"

Pope doesn't say anything else before taking off. I can tell Kie is upset by what happened between them. She starts walking back to JJ and I but stops when she hears a helicopter.

I look up confused as it flies overhead.

"Who the hell is that?" JJ asks.

We head inside to pack supplies for John B and Sarah. Kie explains what happened between her and Pope last night. While they were trying to get Sarah, Pope confessed his love for Kiara and she turned him down.

"You sure he wasn't just being weird Pope?" JJ asks.

"It wasn't really the kind of thing that needed interpretation," Kie states.

"Is that gonna be enough food for them?" I ask.

"I mean, for a couple of weeks, and that's all they need, so..." JJ trails off.

"Look, I think I actually hurt his feelings," Kie confesses.

JJ carries the box out of the restaurant. "Look, don't beat yourself up too much. He's completely changed his feels. The past 24 hours have been like Jekyll and Hyde."

"I hate to admit it, but I miss the old Pope. At least I knew what to expect from him," Kie admits.

JJ puts the food in the trunk. Kie's mom is standing by my car. "Where you been?"