Coping

Rain fell hard on the tree leaves that scattered the ground. The canopy of limbs and leaves overhead did little to shield the ground from the torrent that tore through the Lakewood Hills forest. The smell of wet sap, maple leaves and evergreens filled the air. Thunder cracked in the distance as Jay loped to a stop atop a large rock. Her eyes gazed longingly across the ravine. She had just left Mama Jones from her dress fitting. She was happy while she was there, but the calm and peace that filled her in the time she ran through the forest made her happier.

We could do it, Lettie. Jay reached out to her longest friend, Just run and not look back. Jay felt a pang in her heart at the thought. She longed for the open road, but it had almost killed her trying to leave.

Jay, we can't leave him. Scarlet cried out among the recesses of her mind.

If wolves could cry, tears would be running down her snout. Instead she settled for the world around her crying on her behalf. She was so torn and wanted to be on her own again. She thought back to her Grandmother, not wanting to hurt her but it was so abstract to think of being with them all again.

A loud laugh from her left resounded through the forest. She turned her head abruptly and a low growl came from her chest. Two teens burst through the bushes, the boy's hands wrapping about the young girls waist as the laughed. Jay bore her teeth and gave a deep growl, her body not lifting from her comfortable position on the rock. She laid their, her back legs kicked to her side, the teens freezing in their tracks as they slowly backed away from the rock. Once out of site the pair quickly scrambled back towards the pack house.

Jay laid on the rock, enjoying the feel of the rain as it rolled from her fur. A heavy sigh escaped her lips as she rested her head upon her front paws. She felt trapped, torn between choices and circumstances. Thunder cracked in the distance in response to the flash of light that filled the area, Jay felt the electricity in the air from the recent strike. Her head still remained down, unaffected by the storm that raged around her. The feeling of nature reflecting her inner turmoil felt good to her. The sound of water as it hit the large flat rock becoming a soft melody for her.

Yesterday was a whirlwind that blew threw her mind. Less then a week ago it was just her, wandering the world. She laid on the rock, enjoying the rain as the last week ran through her mind. As the rain poured around her and ran down her fur, it was almost as if it washed away her worries. Another flash of light came, but not loud crack from the collision of electricity to earth. Jay lifted her head and looked about the forest, it was quiet, with just the sound of rain. She laid her head back on her front paws.

"Looks like the storm is moving out." A soft female voice came faintly across the wet forest. Jay lifted her head, but saw no one there. She sniffed the air, the smell of wet leaves, damp earth and cold rocks filled her nostrils. Her brow furrowed and she rested her head again, her ears on alert.

"There you are." Sebastian's voice came out from across the distant clearing.

Jay huffed and rose to her haunches, tilting her head as the man approached. When he was close enough she shook her fur, sending water flying in all directions.

"Hey now, was that really necessary?" Sebastian tried to shield his eyes from the water.

Jay leapt from the rocks and loped over to the cave she had stashed her clothes in. Sebastian followed slowly behind her. Her clothes were laid out on rocks, drying while she enjoyed the rain. Beside them was a fresh towel and a backpack. She shifted and dried herself off, dressing promptly.

Sebastian crossed the threshold to the cave just as Jay had zipped up her jeans. She pulled her shirt down and began to dry her hair with the towel. Sebastian's eyes noted the backpack she had sitting on the rock floor. "Going somewhere?" Sebastian took a seat on a rock ledge near the entrance.