Friendly Fire

The sound of snapping drew her attention long before any other sound. It was as familiar as her name, her head starting to turn as Morgan's voice rang through the night.

"Erick!" Morgan's voice was in a panic, "No!"

Jhera's head turned in time to see Morgan lunging for the lumberjack, his arms outstretched and his fingers grasping through the air. His movement's were too late. Erick's body moved through the opening, his clothes shredding as he shifted in mid air. Her eyes grew wide as she saw the large gray wolf coming for her. She jumped to move, but she was quickly knocked away. Henri's body was suddenly positioned between her and the oncoming wolf.

With a loud thud Henri hit the floor, body rolling so that he could return to his feet quickly. In an exhale, his clothes were in shreds and the dark gray wolf stood before them. His growl menacing and his posture protective. His body arching toward his attacker as it curled away from Jhera. Her body prone on the floor as she tried to process everything.

Jhera shook her head, trying to process what was happening. Her mind was foggy and everything was happening in blurs. With a wide eyed glance to the others, she noticed William was also shaking his head in an attempt to clear something away.

Henri's growl started to bring everyone back to the situation at hand, as Erick moved. He was pacing before the pair, his eyes on them as he growled. His lips lifting to reveal his teeth and his ears moving flat against his skull. He licked his lips as he growled. One large paw thudding against the ground, it was obvious he was trying to decide how to attack. Henri stood his ground, his teeth cleared in like fashion as his attacker.

The night grew silent, the only sounds to fill the forest were those of the wolves as they spoke in growls and tongue flicks. Their tails rigid and held high, both curled toward each other.

The first move was hard to detect, as the other moved on reflex from the motion made from the first. The snow and dirt mingled together as their feet dug in for traction. With force they collided. A yelp triggered Jhera's attention. Her eyes seeing one wolf biting at the ear of another. The lighting was poor and it was hard to detect who was who. The smells of evergreen and maple mingling her senses. She felt nauseas and sick, as she rose slowly from the floor.

Hektor was the first to her side, helping her rise. His kind hands lifted her to her feet, only to stabilize her as she bent forward. Her stomach lurching and emptying itself on the frozen ground. Again her stomach heaved and Hektor helped her remain standing, even though her knees didn't want to. It was in her inhale, in that moment, that she smelled it. The rancid familiar smell of a warlock.

Her eyes were watering as she looked to Hektor, a momentary pang of betrayal stung her chest. Only to realize it wasn't him that carried the smell, but his direction. She turned further, the sounds of growls and fighting continuing behind her. She stumbled, with Hektor's help, into the forest. The tree edge protecting from the breeze that was picking up around their small camp. Stepping into the forest, the smell became more potent. The trail was not far from where she was. As he feed stumbled over rocks and fallen branches, her mind scattered.

She fought against herself trying to remember why she felt the way she did. It was familiar, yet not. She bit her lip softly as she looked to Hektor, his eyes blinking hard as if to clear something from his vision.

Colbaine. Scarlet's voice came through her mind from a far off place. The cold whisper of what sounded like a dying wolf.

Jhera repeated the word in her mind, yet nothing came to remembrance. A glance over her shoulder and the pair were still fighting. Blood began to stain the once white snow. The pair were entangled in a mess of jaws and fur. Teeth snapped at cold air near ears and limbs, while claws dug deep into thick fur.