Scarlet Bond

She paced frantically through the night. Her magick working overtime to heal and repair, yet everything seemed pointless. One bone knit back together, one muscle reconstructed, sinew and tendons joined together in an artistic maze. She knew her body better than any doctor, yet she was given instructions; Leave the bruises, dear one. How could this woman think she would leave her in any pain? Swiftly Scarlet went to work, as her best friend slept.

They were as one, the two of them. Moving as a synchronized set of machines, one motion with two spirits guiding it. The shared body was a connection, a point where the two souls could connect and join forces. Still, in the quiet of night, Scarlet noticed that something was missing within them. A part of their soul was lost in the void, and try as she may, her magick was not strong enough to bring it back. She cursed to herself, as she set about repairing another part of their shared vessel. This missing link was a weakness, something that could be used against them or that could make them stronger.

As Scarlet stared at the void in their souls, she couldn't help but wonder what it was and why they both shared in it. She'd been around for centuries, the last of the guardians. The wolf spirit that would guide the crescent children into their destiny. Yet, in all her years of serving, she's never experienced a void like this. She could see the tears in Jhera's soul, where the piece was ripped from her. She looked to herself, examining the space. It only brought my confusion.

She scanned the small rip, signs of the dark void beyond it. She could feel the ragged edges mending and smoothing out, yet Jhera's rip was untouched. The void beyond nearly spilled over and the ragged edges were sharp and painful. Whatever caused this damage was powerful, and the pain it must bring her best friend; agonizing.

Jhera rolled lightly as she stirred into awareness. The cream colors of the room bringing a bright reflection of the morning light. At the foot of her bed lay the green dress, still shining in it's mystical wonder. Jhera could feel Scarlet's presence, as she worked her magick on their body. Looking at her legs, she could see the bruises as they began to change colors. Her arms and shoulders still dirty and riddled with discolored formations. The gouge in her shin, where the bone broke through, was now scabbed over.

There was just enough pain to notice the tender places, when Jhera rose from the bed and her feet bore her weight. Her naked body looked in horrific shape, yet she felt a renewed strength. Looking to the night stand, she saw the tray of food she had nibbled at through the night. Only half the food was gone, yet she felt her strength returning. Her right hand moved to her collar bone, her fingers searching for the gemstone. When her tips touched flesh, her shoulders slumped. That's right.

The last few days rushed through her mind, the loss of the stone and the abuse she took. She knew she was a prisoner of war. What they were warring for was still unclear. She needed guidance, yet Scarlet was hard at work repairing the damage they had done. Muscles continued to pop and pull into place, as Jhera moved to the small wash basin on the dresser. The water had grown cold and the towel beside it was still neatly folded. She dipped the towel in the water and began to wash away the dirt and grime from her body. With each swipe of the damp cloth the bruises became more pronounced.

When she was satisfied with the amount of grime she'd removed, she turned and slid the green dress over her head. The neckline plunged deep between her bare breasts, ending in a sharp point. The V-line would move the eyes of those looking at her across her chest and back to her shoulders. At the edge of her shoulders lay the straps, with sheer deep green fabric flowing from the edges and over her arms. The simple bell shape the sleeves made gave the appearance of elegance. The gown flowed down about her legs and gathered briefly at her feet. There wasn't much that hung about the ground, yet she found the need to move her feet carefully to avoid stepping on the dress.