Dearly Departed

His beauty seemed almost unnatural, as the woman took interest in him. His golden brown hair hung about his ears, his fingers running through it revealed the waves tucked behind his lobes. His time in the forest had callused his fingers and palms, staining them brown from the physical labor. His digits flexed, revealing a scar running from this right ring finger to his wrist. When it was fresh it would have been a large gash, now only white scar tissue remained.

His long fingers rolled in waves, as he flexed them on the table before him. His green eyes scanned the small diner. He wasn't sure how he'd made it through the thick wolf territory, but now he was clear of them and able to plan his onslaught. The debt owed would be paid with the blood of their children. It was time they learned the cost of betraying him.

His strong jaw clenched as the waitress returned with coffee and his food. She was polite and would probably forget him by tomorrow. He gave her a smile that would stop her in her tracks, his white teeth gleaming and his cheeks revealing soft dimples against his freshly shaven skin. She blushed as she poured the tart liquid and then walked away. His long legs stretched in front of him beneath the table of the booth. How the Mystic Hills area never knew of the dangers that lurked within it's mountains was beyond him.

"Anything else, darlin?" The waitress had returned, her voice soft and sweet. She couldn't have been more then nineteen. Her blue eyes were soft and pale, almost looking gray. They enthralled him as he met her gaze.

"No, thank you," His voice was smooth, a soft tenor tone that caused her heart to skip a beat. He scanned her name tag, "Becky."

"Ok," She pulled the ticket from her apron, a soft pink tint rising to her cheeks. "If you need anything just holler." Placing the check on the table, she turned and watched him for one more moment. He gave her a wink and she almost gasped. She questioned her reality from his engagement with her. He shouldn't be in Thomasville, only good thing here was the bonfire. He deserved to be in the big city, on the cover of a magazine. She giggled quietly as she walked away from his table.

His eyes watched her move, the fluidity of her gate reminded him of a dancer. Her footing intentional and her motions elegant. I imagine she's that graceful as well. His thoughts took over, doing his best to ignore the demon sitting across from him. His black smile and deep red eyes glimmered back at him. Shimmers of a moment in time flashed, causing him to wince softly. He recovered quickly and then took a long draw from his mug. He rose from his seat and dropped several bills to the table.

The trick was to be generous, but not overly. Just enough that they wouldn't think anything about the encounter. He questioned if he was too polite to the waitress, the mundane woman that wouldn't be worth his adoration. His sights were set on a bigger prize, and yet he didn't know if she still lived.

With a smile and nod toward the register, he donned his coat and stepped out into the brutal weather. The vast flatlands that crossed over the interstate to the boundless waters beyond left little to protect from the harsh winds. Winter had come quickly, and he knew what would be on it's heels. Rumors had spread amongst those that had an interest to gossip, that the eclipse was coming on the next full moon. Whether or not they were true, was always hit or miss.

He rolled his eyes and lifted the hood of his coat, zipping the collar tight about his neck. The wind was picking up and he still need to get to shelter. The town he was in was full of lumber mills and wood depots. Cargo ships would arrive in the morning to take the spoils of the town to another place to be sold, while large trucks left daily. Rubbing his hands together before diving them into his coat pockets, he watched another large truck with a load of tree trunks pass him. The smell was harsh, as the smell of cut wood always seemed to burn his nostrils. He had hoped his time in the forests would have cleared away the pain, but to no avail.