Makes No Sense

They decided to go when the Ministry was the least busy, a hard feat considering that there always seemed to be wizards milling about. For the occasion, Newt had to drop by to visit his older brother and while the magizoologist had hoped that no questions would be asked, he might have underestimated the ability of Theseus's Scamander's sixth sense for trouble. Especially when it concerned him.

So it was not surprising when on that very night itself, as Lila was busy shrugging on the new clothes that Newt had bought -- because she clearly stuck out like a sore thumb with her whitewashed jeans and sneakers -- that there was a knock at the door to reveal none other than the said auror leaning against the frame.

She heard Newt's voice rise with slight panic, "Theseus, what--"

"Don't take me for a fool Newton," Theseus snapped, brushing past his brother and blue eyes finding Lila's, who was currently frozen in place with a face that greatly resembled that of a guilty child.

It didn't take a genius to put two and two together. Lila could practically hear the cogs turning in the older Scamander's brain as he swerved towards Newt, "Whatever you're planning, it'a not going to work and you know it."

"I don't know what you're talking about," Newt feigned innocence.

"Oh you know damn well what I'm talking about," Theseus snapped, "no sooner will you step foot inside that you'll be thrown in Azkaban."

"Which is why you're here," Lila chirped to stop his whining. She swooped right in-between the two figures with a wide smile so bright it could've blinded him, though it was clearly part of her game. She just wanted him to cooperate or, at best, stay quiet about this whole ordeal.

Theseus's brows shot up, "excuse me?" He spluttered.

"You're going to help us, aren't you? We could really use the help."

"No blood way," Theseus snarled so viciously that she flinched, "I don't really fancy getting arrested, thank you very much. And if you had any brains you'd do the same"

"I'm trying to get back home," Lila replied with narrowed eyes, "what do you want me to do? Sit here and twiddle my thumbs?" 

Theseus pinched his thumb and forefinger onto the bridge of his nose with a soft exhale, "look, I'm just saying that there are other ways to approach this--" 

"For an auror, you're kind of a wimp." 

Theseus's eyes sparked in irritation, nostrils flared. Behind him, she swore she heard Newt mask his snigger with a cough.

Though she hadn't set on being so rude towards one of the most respected aurors of his time, her insult had bruised his ego somewhat and she would've lied to say that it hadn't changed his mind upon helping them infiltrate the Ministry. Theseus being aboard this plan made things so much easier especially when roaming through the Ministry corridor. 

As the trio entered through the darkened main alley lined with fireplaces that were void of green flames, Lila couldn't help but shiver upon noticing the few house elves that were busy scrubbing the floor, head bowed without so much as a piece of clothing on them. Pity swelled through her chest but she averted her eyes, knowing full well that there was nothing she could do even if she wanted to. Her priority was to get back home. There would be no use of changing things around here, not if she wanted people to suddenly realize that she didn't even exist in this place and time.

They navigated to the elevators and went straight towards Theseus's office. When Lila glanced at him in alarm, he responded by stating that he actually had some of the Unspeakables' members hair strands stowed away in the main auror office, just as pieces of identification.