How She Dreams - Part 5

When Chloe regained consciousness she was lying on her bed. Slowly her senses returned to her, she was in the dark and could feel that she was wearing her favourite pyjamas, she didn't know how long she had been unconscious but by the empty feeling in her stomach she guessed it had been much longer than it had felt. Slowly she climbed out of bed and turned on the light, her body was sore for some reason she could not remember. Her mind felt foggy and her thoughts indistinguishable, the last thing she could remember was sitting on the cold swings talking to her friends.

   She was sitting at the counter eating vanilla yogurt when Chloe's mom walked into the kitchen. Immediately Chloe was encased by her mother's bear like hug. "We were awfully worried about you, I'm so happy your awake" Mrs. Acker's voice broke with a suppressed sob. As Chloe heard the story of how Whitney and Liliana had carried her the four blocks home memories came flooding back The group of boys, seeing those eyes and that face, falling to the ground and watching the boy run from her while she lay on the cold hard snow.

            Sunday January 9, 2011

The doctor says I'll be fine, apparently I was only unconscious for a few minutes and that I slept through all of Saturday only because I was tired. Although I have been told this I don't feel fine, I was only checked for physical signs of damage, no one has asked me how I'm coping mentally. The honest answer to that would be that I'm not coping, that I'm hardly hanging on to my sanity. But no one has bothered to ask so I have told no one. It was that face that caused all of this, his face, the face of the boy who should not exist. That one moment he looked at me it was as if someone had pulled the stopper out of a drain that leads to my dreams. In that moment the dreams of the past week have become clearer and more distinct in my mind. The most memorable image that returned to me was the one that previously was a gray area in my mind like an undistinguishable smudge of ink on a piece of paper. The second I saw his face I knew what I had been pondering over all week, it was this boy with his dirty-blond hair and soft grey eyes who had been filling my dreams and thoughts.