Chapter one

Dear Eliza,

You may not rember me but I'm your aunt June. I'm your daddy's sister. Have you ever been to North Carolina befor? If no please wright back. I would love to have you here for a summer. We could do so much and I would love to show you my horses as well. Please write back or even call me.

Love you,

Aunt June

I stared puzzled by this letter my so called aunt sent me. I knew my father had mentioned a sister named June before but now that he was dead, there's no words to really say. She didn't even come to the funeral to say a word! I decided to pick up a penicle and paper and start to write my own letter to her before the noon chores need done.

Dear aunt June,

I've never been to North Carolina before but would love to go. I do sorta remember you from stories daddy had told me. But mama doesn't talk much about you. Not sure if you two got along, but I think it deals with daddy's funeral. I don't have enough money for my

"Eliza what are you doing " my uncle yelled from the front door.

I folded up the paper and shoved both the pencil and paper in my jean's pocket. I was sure my uncle was still mad at me for burning his eggs. Who knew bacon and eggs could switch a man's happiness in just a few minutes?

"Nothing" I said looking up.

"Get outside and do your chores" he barked.

"Yes sir " I said trying to get on his good side.

My uncle is a buff man. A short brown bread rested on his chubby chin. His fat beer belly sure help you see a lumber jack when you look at him.

I stepped out of our screen door to feel a spring brezz welcoming me outside. I looked out to our hundred acres of land. Out to my right stood our old fashion red barn that could hold ten horses sat along with our newly spouting fenced in grass that our cows munched on. Life was good on this ranch.

I started off at a dead run towards the barn. When I reached the big barn's sliding doors I slid them open just enough for me to step in. Then I pushed them wide open so the spring air and sun could reach the horses needing let out. I lead every horse out to the back pasture. Sparling a black mare picked up her head and rared up. Then she took off running across the grassy hill leading the other horses behind her.  I walked back in the barn and layed down on the cement floors to finish my letter. I started back off on the sentence I was cut off from.

I don't have enough money for the trip to North Carolina. I would take a plane only for the fact that it would be faster than driving. But coming down to you sounds like a bunch of fun. And I would love to meet your horses. I remember daddy saying you had the prettiest and fastest horses in the whole lower 48 states.

love your niece,

Eliza Willcoke

As I signed my name I felt someone's boot step on my butt. I turned around to sit up. When I turned around I saw a 6'1 blond hair, blue eyed, and 20 year old country boy standing there who went by the name Newt.

"Newt, excuse me but my butt doesn't need your nasty boot on it." I smiled up at my friend.

"Laying in the hallway is a dangerous thing especially when it's in a horse barn" he said with a playful smile. And there where those cute little dipples.

I smiled back at him. I reached out my hand towards him letting him grip them and pull me up. One thing about Newt was that he was good looking and strong. But that could just be from filling up our hay barn and haying with our men.

"Thanks" I dusted off my butt from his muddy boot. Curse that boy.

"Any time princess" I didn't even have to look at him to know a smirk rested on his pink lips. I shook my head at the old nickname.

Princess was given to me the first year Newt had worked for my dad. He was sixteen and I was fourteen at the time. I went to a dance with a boy I once liked, but I had to call Newt to come pick me up when my date had got picked up and forgot all about me. Charming right? When Newt picked me up he called himself my knight in shinning armor. Now he's grown up and so have I. But princess has just stayed through these years like our friendship.

"Do you know anything about my aunt June?" I asked him. Newt cocked an eyebrow before shrugging.

"Yeah, she owns a ranch in North Carolina but I don't know much about her." Picking up a piece of hay I started to bend it. Newt probably knew more then me with out a doubt. He was my dad's right hand man and most likely heard more stories then I did in the last few years.

"Do you know anything about her ranch?" I asked out of curiosity raising an eyebrow. Newt scolfed before sitting down on a hay bale near by.

"Yeah, it's huge. They train cutting and barrel racing horses. I got offered a job there you know? If your mom is serious about shutting this place down I'm going take that job." He looked somewhat uneasy but I just gave him a small node.

It did make seance. I mean we all got to move on if my mom does want to sale this damn ranch. This was my home and my life but I couldn't stop it. I couldn't stop that woman from doing anything. Both of us shared the same  bullheadness and stubbornness.

I went over towards Newt's hay bale and sat down. Leaning up against the stall door I let out a sigh. At least my life will slow down when she sales this place.

"What?" Newt's rough barb wire voice questioned through my ears.

"Mom. She is selling the ranch. Come winter this ranch will no longer be the ranch I've grown up on." I was getting choked up. I mean how can't I?!? This is all I know. This is all I want to know!

Newt grabbed my shoulders pulling me into his chest. I held back the tears as I smelt Newt's signature smell. Hay and leather cleaner. One of the best smells a cowgirl could ask for in a man.

"Well, how about me and you go to your aunt's together. I'll stay and work and you can go for the summer" he offered. Quickly I jerked my head up and looked at Newt.

"Two plain tickets?!? That's way to much money!" I said as I pulled the rest of me away from the leather man.

"No we can take my truck. Come on Eliza. It'll be cheaper and you know it." Newt smirked at me as he nudged me. I laughed before nodding to him

"Come on let's head to town and mail that letter" Newt said as he jumped up from the hay bale.

"Right behind hind you" I jumped to my feet racing to catch up to an already retreating Newt.

As we walked off from the hay bale he layed his arm around my shoulders. I hoped we could pull off our plan to get to North Carolina.