chapter 8

"That a girl, just step off" I gently cooed to Dashing winter who looked out from the back of the trailer.

We had just got back to the ranch. Now the job of getting the horses settled in was to be done. Winter jumped off the trailer landing beside me. Her nose shot up into the air as her eyes widen slightly. The white in her eyes slowly vanished as a whinny sounded off some where off in the distance.

"That a girl" I whispered.

Her eyes slowed down their frantic dance of taking everything in when they finally reached me. With out answering any of the other horses  welcomes she let her ears float forward towards me. Her deep eyes poured into my light ones as if she was reading a puzzle. Shaking my head I patted her neck.

"Come on" I gently tugged at her lead rope trying to get her to move towards the barn.

She planted her feet in the ground. She tried to whip her lead rope out of my hand but I wouldn't let that happen. She whinnied as I tried to encourage her to get in the barn. Her fount legs threatened to raise off of the ground as the white returned to her gently eyes.

Alright I thought. I looked over at the side pasture. I didn't know any background of this horse. All I knew about her was that her daddy was a high end quality barrel racing horse. So maybe she had an accident in a barn. Possibly a barn fire?

So I tugged at her halter to encourage her over to the pasture. She sniffed the air then followed me with the white in her eyes disappearing very slowly. She seemed terrified of the barn, something had to have happened. I opened the metal gate allowing her to fallow me in. I shut the gate behind her as I reached up to un snap her halter. I gently slipped her new bright blue halter over her black nose. As soon as she felt no more halter she turned around and raced off. I stood there watching her adventure around the little pasture.

"These two can go in there too" my aunt called by the gate.

I turned around to see my aunt holding on to the black gelding and Newt with the Paso Fino. Newt liked horses he just didn't love them as much as me or even my aunt. The only horse I had ever seen him in love with was a black mare named Sparling. She was a boarding horse back at my ranch. She had belonged to an old man who pays Newt to ride the mare. But Newt and the Paso Fino seemed to match each other well as they stood side by side.

"Don't you want that black one in a stable?" I asked as I made my way to the gate.

"Oh your probably right. Because of this open wound. Good idea Eliza. Alright just the Paso Fino then." she replied as she walked over to the barn.

"Would you hate me if I asked for the mare to be left in here by her self?" I asked nervously.

"Give me a reason" she replied as she stopped in her tracks and turned to look at me.

My aunt was like my dad in a lot of ways. They both tried to intimidate you when you wanted something. They always want to see you hold your ground. So I sucked in a breath cause my reason was a good one.

"Well if she's by her self then she'll have to pair up with me. And I want to see if I made a good choice with my money. I mean your money" I corrected.

"Be my guest. Newt I'll show you the open stall to put that one in." My aunt called to Newt.

"Yes ma'am" Newt replied

As the two of them walked off I turned back around to see where Winter had adventured off to. When I turned around I saw her standing on top of the grassy hill staring down at me. Her beautiful white coat now covered in mud. But her black muzzle and black main, tail,and socks still looked sharp against her muddy coat. I locked eyes with her sending a chill down my back. I had a feeling me and this horse would do amazing things together.