Chapter 20

The ride to Oklahoma was a long one. A long ride I had to take on my own. Newt was mad at me for some reason so I just told him to stay home and screw himself. This was not a day I needed him to be having his man period.

I pulled into the rodeo grounds. People were walking every were. I spotted a muscular blond hair cowboy walking with a dirty blond hair cowgirl at his side. I smiled as I watched the boy wrapped his arm around the girls waist and tickle her coursing her to give out a girly squeal. I jumped out of the truck and practically run up to them.

"Excuse me" I called out.

The girl turned around leaving the boy's hand fall to his side.

"Yes?" her voice was sweet yet had danger behind it.

"I was wondering were I can sign up for the rodeo" I said as I walked up a little closer.

"Oh that's were we are going actually. Why don't you join us it's only up a little ways from here" her sweet side coming though. I nodded. There was always a need to have a friend.

"So I'm April and this is Nick" she said as she stuck out her hand and pointed to the boy who stood next to her. He tipped his hat at me. I nodded in return.

"I'm Eliza" I answered as I took her hand in mine for a shake.

"Ah well it's nice to meet you Eliza" she said as we almost reached the sign in tent.

"Hey why don't you join us for our little day be for the rodeo bonfire?" the deep voice of the Nick said.

"I'd love that. I kinda came all alone" I struggled my shoulders as we lined up to get signed in.

"Ok well I'll come and get you tonight "April volunteered

"Ok see you then" I answered.

She nodded her head be for both of them handed in their money. They walked off by the time it was my turn to sign in.

"Eliza Wilson and Winter" I handed the woman the fifty dollars.

"Good luck girly" she said be for I walked off.

***** bonfire

"Eliza" a women's voice called

I turned around to see April standing there.

"Oh hey" I said.

"You ready?" she asked

"Yeah totally" I answered

I followed her to another trailer. I spotted two men and another girl standing there laughing at one of the guys. All of a sudden I felt out of place. They all seemed to be friends and here comes this out sider. I sucked in a breath.

"Guys this is Eliza. She's my new competition" she winked at me. I gave a shy smile.

"This is Nick. You've already met him. This is Rose" she pointed to the brunette that stood by Nick. "That is Kevin" she pointed to a strawberry blond boy who held up a beer to me.

"Nice to meet you" his voice had a Texas accent to it.

"Same here" I answered.

"Oh come on Eliza. Come join us" April said from Nicks lap. She pointed to another chair across from her with the fire in the middle.

I sat down in the chair next to Rose.

"So did you just join this rodeo circuit?" she asked as my phone went off.

"Yeah. Excuse me" I said.

I got up and grabbed my phone from my pocket. I looked down to see an un known North Carolina number.

"Hello"  I answered.

"Is this Eliza Wilson?"  I swallowed hard. Recently every time a person asked me if it was me someone was dead.

"Yes" my voice came out shaky.

"Newt Welsh well he..... He got in kicked by a horse in the head" my breathing stopped.

"He might not make it" she spoke quietly.

I didn't answer.

"His in a comma. His head was kicked by one of the horses he works with. He has a blood clot in his brain. I don't think he's gonna make it" she said.

My head started to spin. I felt my knees give out and my ass hit the ground. I just sat there with the phone to my ear. I held in another breath afraid that if I let it out all the tears will come with it. But I let out the breath with shakiness in it. A hand was on my shoulder. I looked over to my right were I spotted April and Rose bent down next to me. Then a strong hand went on my left shoulder. I looked to my left to see Nick and Kevin looking at me confused by my sudden dizziness.

"Th...ank you... for telling me" I stuttered

"I'm sorry honey. But your aunt wants you home" she said be for I hit the hung up button.

"Tomorrow. I'll head back tomorrow"  I said as a silent tear rolled down my cheek.

"I'll tell her" the women said be for the click of the phone came though telling me the call was over.

I dropped the phone as more tears fell down. Except these ones were not silent. I plopped my head in my hands as my body started  to shake.

I should have brought Newt along. I should have told him I loved him so much. Why am I so stupid?

The thoughts ran though my mind as my body shock harder. The tears rolled down as if it was a waterfall.

"Eliza what is the matter?" April's voice asked.

"A... boy... I ...know is... going ....to... die" I shuttered as the tears rolled down faster as I picked up my head to look out into the dark night.

"Oh Eliza" April and Rose's arms wrapped around my body.

"Let go of me" I wiggled out of their arms as I attempted to stand up.

I started  to walk off to my trailer when I saw April at my side.

"I'm sorry. I know your having a hard time. Sometimes I just get overwhelmed when people say someone is dieing. I've gone though a lot of death myself. So I know how it feels" she spoke softly as she starred down at the ground. I watched her out of the corner of my eye.

"Your horse one day will leave you too. But as long as your horse is here or as long as you have a horse to ride you ell always have something to get lost in. My horse Brandy has helped me a lot when I lost every one in my family. I'm sure your horse can do that for you too" she said be for we reached  my trailer.

The tears were still rolling off my cheek but I had calmed down my shuttering. I grabbed winter by her halter and loaded her up in the trailer. I needed to get home as fast as I could.

"So your leaving now then?" she asked.

"Yeah I need to get home as soon as I can" I answered.

"I understand. Here's my number. If you need a friend to talk to or even need me to come and see you all I'll be a phone call away" She offered as she handed me a piece of paper.

"Will do" I shut and locked the trailer door.

"See you" I said  as I jumped in the driver seat and started the engine. As the engine roared to life I got a feeling of strength. I hit the gas pedal and headed down the high way.