It's You

Selena looked at her watch and she had to go. She had to be at the studio by 10 to work on her new and upcoming movie. Selena and Demi both got dressed and Demi drove her to the studio and dropped her off, they said their goodbyes and Demi left to go back to her house. She was driving down her street and decided to drop into Joe's place. She walked through the front door and found that there were boxes everywhere. She started panicking and she frantically ran upstairs calling out Joe's name.

"Joe, JOE WHERE ARE YOU?" He yelled out back to her and she found him in his music room packing up some books. "Joe, why are you packing up all your stuff? You just moved here!" He sighed. "Cause I've hurt you too much.." he exclaimed. "What do you mean 'you've hurt me too much'?" "Let me make this easier for you. I was listening to Selena and your conversation this morning. I was coming to visit but then I heard my name so then I started to listen." he tried to say it with a straight face as he was lying just a tad. "Oh Joe, Selena told me some stuff and I think I'm over that now, I'm ready to move on. Please don't move, I don't want another three years of pain!" she joked. "No, Demi, I'm serious. I don't want to be around you if I'm gonna cause you so much pain" he continued packing. Demi put her hands on Joe's shoulders making him look into her eyes "Seriously Joe, if you leave then I'll be heartbroken. I'm not now... But I will be. Please.. Please, just stay."

With her last words, she had her arms around his waist and her head resting on his chest. Before he even had time to think his arms were already resting on her back. She squeezed him tighter and tighter and Joe thought to himself, 'Demi, I wonder if you know what it feels like to love someone so much that it hurts.' Joe pulled away from the hug a few minutes later and asked "Demi, is it okay if I play you something, I was thinking about using it for my new album?" he sat down at the piano waiting for her permission. "Sure, go ahead" she had a huge smile on her face but she was a bit nervous because she knew Joe never played the piano very often. If he played it, it was only for something important because he never liked to show off that skill. He played guitar a little bit but he preferred sticking to singing and tambourine. He straightened out his back and started to play a few keys and sing along...

"It can be a rush,

yeah it's like a drug,

when you give up love,

it's never worth it,

when you're fighting fear,

it can be so clear,

what you really need is each other.

But I, finally found the truth,

I was using you.

Every night you're gone

I swear it hurts,

You're the atmosphere,

Now you're gone I can't live,

Tell me what to do.

I feel the pain all over my body.

Was it the things I said,

Can I take them back, baby

Cause without you there's nothing left of me,

We can run away,

We can change our fate, baby

what can I do to show you I'm sorry?

What can I do to show you I'm sorry?

He stopped playing and he looked down at the keys not even looking up at Demi. She looked at him sympathetically and she saw a tear fall from his eyes. He tried to play if off by pretending his nose was itchy but it was pretty damn hard to fool Demi. She walked up behind him and rubbed his back with her hand. "Demi, it's fine" he laughed but he still had a little sniffle in his nose. "It's a beautiful song Joe. Who wrote it?" she asked smiling. "Well... I did." She stopped rubbing his back and took her hand away, "it's beautiful..." He looked up at her. "You really think so? I know this sounds so stupid but I think it's my favorite song...” Demi smiled. "Why is that?" she said cheerfully. "Because it's about this girl that I was deeply in love with not long ago... I really regreted breaking up with her, it was the worst decision of my life." as he continued to speak, Demi's heart dropped, she loved the song... A lot, but she was hoping it was going to be about her. Guess not. They broke up years ago, not a little while ago, he also didn't care about breaking up with her because he left her and wanted nothing to do with her after that. She sighed to herself.

He continued "and I think maybe just maybe she liked me too... or maybe even loved me but then... I broke her heart. I gave myself so much pain after that. I practically hated myself and I couldn't deal with anything anymore. I guess I could say, I possibly, maybe... went insane. She meant so much to me but I just dropped her like a fly. Ugh, I hated myself so much". "Joe, I'm sure she doesn't hate you. I'm sure she's fixed her broken heart and I'm sure she still likes you as a friend, maybe more." She tried to say with a smile on her face. "No, Demi you don't understand, I've practically been in love with this girl since i was about 16 or 17 and she was all I ever thought about... even up until now. And you don't even know the hard part about it..." he said breathlessly. "What's the hardest part?" she asked sitting down next to him on the seat in front of the piano. "The hardest part is that I know I sent her to a treatment centre, she got help with her recovery and she's doing better than ever.... Without me and the very hardest part is that she's helping me with 'herself' without even knowing about it." Joe smashed his elbows onto the piano keys and placed his head tightly in his palms. Demi smiled slightly. Joe felt Demi's warm hands comfort him. She was rubbing his back and whispering "Joe, it’s okay. She'll forgive you." He looked up at Demi. Demi, you don't understand, that girl is....... you, Demi. It was you." he barely even got the words out of his mouth.