CHP. 39 • Healing Scars •

Y/N woke up the next morning feeling safer and warmer than she ever had before. She softly opened her eyes and lifted her head slightly, only to see Umeji laying beside her with his arms holding her close to his body. They were under the covers and Y/N smiled as she snuggled closer to his bare chest. Her arms reached out to wrap around his masculine frame and she felt Umeji shift slightly from the added contact.

He groaned lightly and opened his eyes, seeing Y/N snuggled up in his arms and hugging him back tightly. A small smile erupted on his features as he gently ran a hand through her H/C hair with a look of adoration. Y/N grinned lightly and grabbed his wrist.

"What are you doing?" she asked with a teasing tone of voice. Umeji looked down to meet her eyes and smirked.

"What, am I not allowed to touch your hair?" he asked, pretending to be offended, causing Y/N to scoff and shake her head.

"Of course not. It's my private property" she explained, placing his arm around her again. Umeji grinned at this action and brought his face down so that their foreheads were touching.

"Possessive now, are you?" he teased, earning a small chuckle from Y/N.

"You could say that" she spoke, looking up at into his eyes once more. She stared into his yellowish eyes as she tried to memorize the exact pattern within them. They were an incredible colour, orange fading to yellow - just like he'd mentioned before.

Y/N's eyes trailed momentarily to his right eye and found herself frowning slightly at the long scar running down his face.

"You never told me how you got this" she mumbled, moving her hand to gently caress his face. Umeji moved into her touch and closed his eyes fondly as she softly ran her thumb over the lower half of his scar.

"I was slashed across the face with a knife" he explained, opening his eyes again with a slightly sombre expression on his face, "I was cornered and beaten up for no reason."

Y/N's eyes widened a fraction as a look out outrage crossed her features, causing her to pull his head into the crook of her neck in a protective manner.

"We should go beat those bastards up" Y/N grumbled, "even I wasn't as dumb as to scar another person."

Umeji was slightly shocked at tone of voice, but suddenly burst out into hearty laughs as he processed Y/N's new idea.

"Oh Y/N, you're too much for me" he sighed, releasing a bout of chuckles every now and again. Y/N grumbled something under her breath about him finding her threats funny, but eventually settled down and resumed to basking in the combined warmth of their bodies.

Umeji gently traced the jagged scars on her arms and sighed into her neck, before hugging her tightly.

Nothing was going to happen to Y/N under his watch ever again, and that he promised.