A Little While

The courthouse towers above James, looming in the winter clouds and taunting him. He can't find the will to move, the confidence that he once held to take on the world misplaced. His mother softly places her hand on his arm, eyes reassuring as she laces their fingers together. James had dressed his best, navy suit pants that hugged all the right places and a brilliant white button-up to match. His heels gave him four extra inches, showing off the black nail polish he wore. 

"We're here for you, honey," Christie whispers, words tucking in his anxiety and kissing it good night. James would always be thankful for his family.

"I appreciate it so much," he can't help but say, just loud enough for Ian, Skip, and Emma to hear. Eyes clash among the family before James is encircled by them all. This was what the universe promised, the nutrients and love for James to come back stronger than before.

"Let's go kick this fuckers ass," Ian mumbles against his mothers shoulder, soft chuckles shaking her as she slaps his arm.

"Language!" their parents shout in unison, his dad adding a 'dammit' at the end. Emma can't help but laugh loudly at the comment, gripping James like a lifeline. This was what he needed--this is what he was pleading for to feel normal once more.

"I'm just saying what we're all thinking," Ian said, innocence causing James to roll his eyes. His brother was a handful sometimes.

"Em, have your heard from Ethan?" James finds himself asking, Emma knowing he wanted information regarding Grayson. The two hadn't talked that morning, James too nervous to even spare a glance at his phone.

"He and Grayson are going to be here in like, ten minutes," she said, double-checking the time her last text was received. She didn't plan on telling James that their parents were also coming, not wanting to put him even more on edge.

"Well, what are we standing around for? Let's go," James is pushing them all towards the door, taking a deep breath before even taking a step. He was ready for this moment, to face David once more, but with a support system that wouldn't let a hand touch him.

James was untouchable in this moment, Emma holding his hand tightly as his brother elbowed his father just a few steps ahead of them. His mother was only steps behind them, taking in the scene with a happiness she didn't think possible at this moment. Whatever happened in the court room today would never dampen this memory.

Heels click against the marble flooring, announcing the arrival of James and his family. His attorney is waiting patiently, talking to Officer Daniels briefly. James can still remember the nerves he felt when he was interviewed by the officer, the way his ribs throbbed and his bones creaked with fear. Today was a new day, and James was ready to conquer.

"Hello, James," his attorney, Mrs. Junie, greets kindly, her black-rimmed glasses gleaming as she looks to them.

"Mrs. Junie," James is nothing but smiles, covering the nerves that clawed at his stomach. He pulls her into a hug, giving her a light squeeze before pulling away. "Are you ready?"

"I should be asking you that," she laughs, checking her wrist watch before nodding. "We can get settled in and ready. Thank you Officer Daniels, we'll see you in a moment."

There is no hesitation as the group walks through the court doors, Mrs. Junie looking straight ahead and standing untouched. James was mimicking her, thankful to have a strong energy to remind him why they were here. What they were able to accomplish.

His family breaks away, Emma almost forgetting before quickly rushing back to them. They sat in the front row, directly behind where James and Mrs. Junie were heading. He could hear the giggle from his mother at Emma's antics and he couldn't help the smile that appeared.