18

{You Get All Three}

_______________

Jeongguk has never really liked parties.

Yet, his mother insisted on inviting more than just his small group of friends. So now, his house is full of his entire grade, along with a few others, and minus those that couldn't, or didn't want to, come.

Food is spread out in the kitchen, and the video game console is hooked up to the big tv in the living room. There's board games and music, a group of girls playing twister in the main room.

It's simple.

Not some outrageous party, but also not lame and boring. Just a chance for everyone to chill with their friends.

The parents have made their place out on the porch, giving the kids their space, but still being there as chaperones.

Still, Jeongguk feels oddly trapped in the large house.

Jimin and Taehyung are in the living room with their other friends, watching the mini tournament going on on the game station. He doesn't know what game they're playing, but he still mildly watches from the kitchen as all the boys hoop and holler.

He's surrounded by people, some of which he doesn't even necessarily like. He takes another sip of his soda, cringing at the carbonation he can feel throughout his sinuses.

"Hey, Guk," a familiar voice says, and he smiles as he turns around.

"Joonie hyung!"

Namjoon chuckles at the younger's excitement, taking a taste of one of the cookies Jeongguk's mother had made earlier. "We haven't hung out in a while, ya know? You're always with Jimin and Taehyung nowadays."

"Jimin and I have been glued together for years. How is this any different?" Jeongguk giggles.

"Well with you and Jimin, you guys still hung out with us," Namjoon explains with a shrug, and Jeongguk frowns a little. "Now, you three just always go off on your own."

"Hyung, is that really how you guys feel?"

Namjoon offers an assuring smile, looking at Jeongguk in fondness. "It's okay, Guk. I didn't mean to make you feel bad. I apologize if it sounded harsh. We just miss you guys. We all like Taehyung, don't get me wrong, it just kinda feels like he took you two from us."

Jeongguk giggles along at that, realizing how true that actually was. For the past month, it's always been him, Jimin, and Taehyung. The only time he really ever saw the other boys was at lunch.

They'd just grown apart.

And that hurts to think about.

Jimin and Jeongguk have been best friends since middle school, but Jeongguk has known Namjoon the longest. They didn't particularly get super close until freshman year, however, when they were both on the football team.

But Jeongguk had always admired Namjoon. He was strikingly intelligent, class president, and the perfect role model.

Only difference between Namjoon and Jeongguk is that Namjoon is always himself.

And now that Jeongguk thinks about it, Namjoon was where he got his inspiration for this perfect alter ego of his. The persona he puts on... its Namjoon, not himself.

"I'm sorry, hyung," he whispers, tapping his fingers on his cup.

Namjoon sees his pout and his lips curl down, resting his hand on Jeongguk's shoulder. "Hey, don't be down. Sometimes people grow apart. It can happen peacefully; doesn't mean that we're not still friends, we just aren't as close. But just know that we're always here for you guys."