Part Four

The Doctor could have sworn he saw Craig go over that ridge while he was hot on the boy's trail. Alas, the child somehow managed to elude the Time Lord, vanishing out of sight entirely. Feeling despondent over his failure, he returned to the others just as there was some discord among them.

"I'm gonna break each of your bloody faces!" he heard Maureen in particular shout. It took three people (General Dwonch, Major Simmons, and Captain Yates) just to hold her back from O'Neil's men.

"What're you so pissed at us for?!" Louis Ferretti (one of O'Neil's lieutenants) retorted.

"You didn't have to laugh at him like that," Jo scolded, clearly referring to the spectacle earlier with Craig and his staff. "He's just a boy!"

            "The kid said he could get us home," Ferretti argued

"The kid said he could get us home," Ferretti argued. "If he can't back up a deal like that, then he might as well face the music."

Maureen nearly tore through the restraint placed on her by Dwonch, Simmons, and Yates. Thankfully, the Brigadier was there to diffuse the altercation. "Alright! That's quite enough – all of you!" He turned to Jack and ordered, "Colonel, I realize I'm in no position to give you commands, but I suggest you get a hold on your men."

O'Neil tried not to act spiteful towards the Brig's advice. "Duly noted."

When Kelsey finally noticed the Doctor had returned, she immediately rushed over to him. "Did you find Craig?" she asked with a look of hope.

It irritated the Doctor being the bearer of bad news. "No, he disappeared past that ridge before I could reach him," he told Kelsey, who hung her head in sadness. "But I reassure you that we will find him."

"You're damn right we will," Dwonch attested. "We're going out there to look for the lil' fella." She looked to the two other C.O.'s – O'Neil and the Brigadier – and advocated, "How 'bout it, gentlemen?"

"A mass search party for one child?" the Brigadier interpreted her course of action.

"What's the matter, Brig?" O'Neil addressed in a snarky tone, presumably as payback for the Brig's ill advice moments ago. "Too much legwork for you and your boys?"

The Brig knew when another man was challenging him. Unbeknownst to O'Neil, he was not one to back down. "On the contrary, Colonel...I was merely surveying the general's plan. I know my men are adept for such an assignment. Are yours?"

Dwonch could no longer stomach this pissing contest. Rolling her eyes with disgust, she pressed, "Let's just get a move on, shall we?"

While the teams prepared for the search, Ferretti approached O'Neil and whispered, "You can't be serious about wastin' our time looking for some whiny little kid. What about gettin' back home?"