2 - At The Professor's

Gentle shaking interrupted my sleep, and I cracked open my eyes to see Peter and Edmund looking at me. Peter smiled and moved his hand from my shoulder to my knee.

"This is the second to last station, Mae. We'll be off soon." I nodded and picked my head off of Edmund's shoulder, raising my arms in a stretch. The train slowed to a stop and Susan closed her book softly and leaned forward to look out the window.

"Goosey Station. Arriving at Goosey Station." A voice called. I compared our tag to the name. Not us. We all sighed and sat back, watching the other children unload from the train. Edmund raised his chin from his hand and looked around our compartment with wide eyes as two identical-looking children who had boarded together went in opposite directions, with separate people. I grabbed his hand reassuringly and pointed to my tag. We're all labeled the same. We'll stay together. He nodded his head and turned to the window once again to watch the station zoom away.

The next station was the last, and the voice called out the name that matched our tags. We all quickly gathered our luggage together, stumbling through the hallways to get off.

We disembarked onto an open wooden platform, the only there being a small bench and a sign with barely eligible words on it.

As the train rode off we could just hear the rattle of carriage wheels approaching, and we all rushed down the stairs to meet it. Peter smiled and Lucy raised her arm to greet the car, but both dropped when it kept moving, not slowing down the slightest. Susan turned to me with a quizzical look.

"The Professor knew we were coming?" I shrugged at her words, looking for any more cars.

"Maybe he's late?" I suggested. Edmund picked up his tag with a look of distaste.

"Perhaps we've been incorrectly labeled." He said. Before any of us could throw out more theories, the sound of a whip cracked through the air. We all leaned to the side to watch the approaching wooden cart, pulled by a gorgeous white Clysdale.

"Mrs. Macready?" Peter spoke as the tight-faced woman pulled the horse to a stop in front of us. Her lips were pursed as if she had just eaten something sour.

"I'm afraid so." She spoke, looking all of us over. "Is this it then? Haven't you brought anything else?"

We all shook our heads. "No ma'am, it's just us." Peter answered, pulling Lucy to his side and rubbing her arm.

Mrs. Macready said something under her breath and raised her eyebrows before jerking her head to the back of the cart. We all clambered inside, Lucy going first, then me and Ed, followed by the two eldest. We didn't even get the chance to quite settle ourselves before Mrs. Macready snapped her whip and the cart lurched forward.

Lucy, being the lightest, was most affected. She slid from her seat and into my side, but I caught and righted her with a smile.

We traveled down dirt roads for what felt like hours, then finally reached a long rocky path surrounded by grass. A giant manor came into view further on, overlooking an enormous yard.

"The Professor lives here?" Lucy gawked. I smiled and tickled her side a little while admiring the view for myself. It was quite an impressive structure.

Mrs. Macready urged the horse on and we reached the front of the house. We all jumped off the cart quickly, Peter helping us down. Mrs. Macready led the group to the front door. I slowed my pace until the rest were inside, then turned back to the horse.

"Thank you." I whispered. The horse neighed softly, nudging my face lightly. I giggled softly and pet her once more before rushing to catch up with the group. Peter sent me a small grin and a wink as I slid through the closing door quietly. Mrs. Macready was scolding Susan for touching some artifact. The rest of the Pevensie siblings had amused looks on their faces, which Susan did not appreciate.

I maneuvered to her side and squeezed her hand, to which she smiled. The old bat (I had decided already that I did not like the Macready) continued to list out the never-ending rules.

"And above all," she was saying, "there shall be no disturbing of the professor." The Macready pointed to a brown door behind her before continuing around the corner. We all nodded and followed after her. I heard a small gasp from behind me, but when I turned to look at Lucy, she had her hands clasped in front of her and was staring straight ahead, silent. How odd.

After the long tour filled with rules, Mrs. Macready led us to our rooms. The room that the girls and I were sharing had a king bed on one side and a small twin on the other side, by the window. I smiled at Susan and Lucy and took the twin, knowing they would prefer to sleep together. I unpacked diligently, only slowing when I pulled my snow globe out. Inside it was a small family, huddled together with smiles as the snow drifted down on them.

It was a family of four: a mother and father, and a young girl and an older boy. My dad had claimed that it was made especially for our family. I smiled fondly and stroked the glass before putting my trunk under the bed.

Just as I had plopped down on the sheets, a knock came from the door. It was Edmund and Peter, who walked in once Susan replied. I met Edmund by the post of Lucy and Susan's bed, frowning at him. The tips of his ears were a bright red. He's been fighting with Peter again. I sighed and grabbed his hand, pulling him over to sit on the windowsill with me. We entertained ourselves with a game of sticks while Peter turned on the radio.

After only a few moments, the radio was abruptly shut off. I turned to see Susan standing with a pointed look at Peter, nodding subtly towards Lucy. I parted from Ed and plopped on the bed next to her, only then noticing that her eyes were swimming with tears.

"The sheets feel scratchy." She mumbled.

"We can ask Macready to change them in the morning, Lu." Susan spoke from behind Peter with a small smile.

I nodded and poked her knee gently. "Wars don't last forever Lucy," I spoke, remembering Mrs. Pevensie's words from the station. "We'll be home soon." Peter and Susan nodded along.

"Yeah, if home is still there." Edmund snorted as he came up behind us and leaned on the bed. I scowled at him. Sometimes he really could be a twat.

"Isn't it time you were in bed?" Susan asked him, her eyes narrowed.

"Yes, Mum!" Edmund scoffed.

"Ed!" Peter raised his voice. I held Lucy's hands as I could feel an argument rising. Edmund looked between me and Peter and sighed, deciding not to fight back this time. Peter turned back to Lucy.

"You saw outside. This place is huge! We can do whatever we want here. Tomorrow's going to be great." He turned to me, gripping my knee in comfort. "Really."

I nodded with Lucy, and the boys headed back to their room so we could get ready for bed. I placed a gentle kiss on my snowglobe and tucked myself in, twisting the leather bracelet around my wrist once before falling into yet another fitful sleep.