8 - Minus One

Peter's POV

I gripped Lucy's coat tightly as my throat became hoarse from screaming her name. She can't be gone. I was holding her just a moment ago. Between mine and Susan's shouts, I could hear a faint cry.

"Susan, shh. Listen." Our heads whipped towards the lower bank as we saw Lu stumbling with a coat and belt in her hands. She was calling our names almost as panicked as we had been calling hers. A weight was lifted from my shoulders as my little sister came into view. I rushed towards her, and only then did I notice her tears.

"Lu, what's wrong?" I asked.

She held up the belt and coat with shaking hands. It was Macey's coat, with her sword and belt. Oh no. Through all the commotion of losing Lucy, I hadn't even noticed that we lost her too. I gripped Lucy's shoulders.

"What happened? Where is she?"

Lucy's answer came out in sobs. "She...She pushed me on shore! And I tried to pull her up by her coat and belt but she just fell out of them! And, and as she was gonna pull herself up too, some ice hit... hit...hit her in the head. Her eyes rolled back and she wouldn't answer me! The tide took her before I could reach her. She's gone!"

Lucy fell into my arms, and my eyes moved to the rushing water. Susan began to frantically call Macey's name as I searched the other bank. I froze when I saw red spots down on the other side of the river.

"Su... Susan look." I pointed down to the small patch. There were paw prints leading to the very edge of the ground, small drops of red in between them. A foot to the left was a large dent in the snow, which went from the river all the way through the forest, out of sight. Macey.

"Oh no..." Susan's eyes filled with tears as she turned to the beavers.

"We need to get to Aslan. Now."