5 - Where the Cricket Ball Leads

The following day was finally bright. The sun was shining with a soft breeze, so the Pevensies and I decided to play cricket outside. Well, they played. Lucy and I read books we found in the study under the tree nearby. As much as I would have loved to participate, I was still upset with Edmund and how he treated Lucy last night.

"Peter winds up, poised to take yet another wicket!" Peter threw the ball and laughed as it hit Edmund in his leg. He made a noise of complaint. "Whoops! Wake up, Dolly Daydream."

Susan tossed the ball back to Peter as Edmund twisted the bat into the dirt. "Why can't we play hide and seek again?" Edmund asked, still rubbing his leg.

Peter tilted his head. "I thought you said it was a kid's game."

"Besides, we could all use the fresh air." Susan chipped in with a smile. She waved the glove on her hand around, gesturing around.

"It's not like there isn't air inside." Ed grumbled. I rolled my eyes.

"Are you ready?" Peter challenged. Edmund tapped the bat against the ground.

"Are you?" Peter pitched the ball, and Edmund hit it with a thwack. Before we all knew it, it crashed through one of the stained glass windows.

I gasped. Lucy's jaw hung open. We stood together, dropping our books. Without a word, we all ran inside.

"Well done Ed." Peter spoke as we all gathered around a broken suit of armor.

"You bowled it!" Edmund accused. Footsteps pounded below us. I felt Lucy grab my hand and squeeze it tightly.

"The Macready!" Susan gasped.

"Run!" Peter shouted, grabbing mine and Susan's hand. I pulled Lucy behind me and Edmund trailed behind. We turned corners and opened new doors, but no matter where we went it seemed the footsteps were always ahead.

Finally, we made our way to the hallway where Lucy and I hid. I tried the storage room door, but it was locked.

"This was just open!" I stomped. Edmund moved down to the door of the spare room and ushered us in. He continued to run towards the wardrobe, calling us behind him. So now he wants to go in there?

"You've got to be joking." Susan voiced my thoughts. Lucy grabbed my hand again and pulled us through the door after Ed. Susan followed, and Peter came last. I wobbled backward, trying to make more room for them.

"Get back!" Peter hissed.

"Ed, move it!"

"You're on my toes!"

"Don't shove!"

"I'm not shoving, she is."

"Peter, that's my hair!"

"I'm sorry!"

Griping and complaints filled the air around me while we all stumbled backward, only ceasing when I tripped over Susan's foot and fell into her, creating a domino effect which ended up with me, Susan, and Peter on the ground. Cold bit at my hands, and when I looked around me I was stunned to see pure white snow.

"Impossible!" Susan breathed. We scrambled to our feet, awing at the scenery.

"You were right." Peter looked down at me with a sheepish smile. I smiled and nodded softly as Lucy stepped forward with a sly grin.

"Don't worry. I'm sure it's just your imagination." She giggled.

Peter and Susan turned to the girl. "I-I don't suppose saying we're sorry would quite cover it." Peter stammered. The grin on Lucy's face grew.