6 - The Dam

"It's lovely!" Lucy grinned as we reached the dam. It was low roofed and made of sticks that seemed to be just barely holding on. Nevertheless, it radiated warmth and was quite enticing compared to the winter snow outside.

"It's merely a trifle. Still plenty to do. Ain't quite finished it yet. It'll look the business when it is, though." Beaver shook his head as we neared the small house. A shrill voice called from the doorway.

"Beaver, is that you? I've been worried sick! If I find you've been out with Badger again I... Oh!" A beaver, which looked and sounded to be female, stopped as her eyes landed on the Pevensies and me. "Well, those aren't badgers. Oh, I never thought I'd live to see this day." She turned to Mr. Beaver and swatted his shoulder. "Look at my fur. You couldn't give me ten minutes warning?" I laughed lightly as she scuffed her fur, smoothing it and pulling at it.

"I'd have given a week if I thought it would've helped." Mr. Beaver muttered to us.

"You look lovely, Mrs. Beaver." I spoke with a smile. The female mammal looked bashful.

"Thank you, dear. Oh, come inside, and see if we can't get you some food, and some civilized company." Mrs. Beaver fretted as the five of us ducked through the doorway. Mr. Beaver followed.

I settled myself down on a stool in between Susan and Peter as Lucy sat down next to Mr. Beaver. He got himself comfortable in his chair as his wife moved around the kitchen, pouring us all cups of tea and making sure we were comfortable. I sent Edmund a pointed look as he sat alone on the stairs, refusing Mrs. Beavers's hospitality.

"Isn't there anything we can do to help Tumnus?" Lucy asked, her hands cupped around her steaming mug.

"They'll have taken him to the Witch's. You know what they say. There's few that go through them gates that come out again." Mr. Beaver spoke grimly, leaning in closely. I heard Edmund huff from the stairs behind me but ignored him. Lucy looked down at her lap with a frown playing on her lips.

"Fish 'n' chips!" Mrs. Beaver slid in beside Lucy and placed a wooden plate in front of her with a couple of raw fish and lightly salted bark pieces on it. She made a face at it and I giggled softly. Mrs. Beaver placed her paw on Lucy's hand gently. "But there is hope, dear. Lots of hope!" She spoke the last part a bit louder, causing Beaver to choke on his drink.

"Oh, yeah, there's a right bit more than hope! Aslan is on the move!" I smiled brightly, looking at Lucy. Her face mirrored mine.

"Who's Aslan?" Edmund asked. Susan and Peter looked to be thinking the same thing. I turned to Edmund and spoke before Beaver had the chance.

"The rightful king of Narnia. He's this great big lion who can bring back spring and-" I turned back in my seat to the table, where Peter and Susan looked bewildered and Lucy was leaning forward with keen interest. I shifted in my seat awkwardly and mumbled out an explanation. "I uh, I had a dream."

Mr. Beaver chortled to himself and nodded. "He's just got back! And he's waitin' for you near the Stone Table!" At this, my smile faltered.

"He's waiting.. for us?" Lucy asked. Beaver threw his arms in the air.

"You're blooming joking! They don't even know about the prophecy!" He looked to Mrs. Beaver, who urged him on. "Look. Aslan's return, Tumnus' arrest, the secret police, it's all happening because of you!"

I frowned. How is it our fault Tumnus was arrested?

"You're blaming us?" Susan asked with a defensive tone.

Mrs. Beaver stepped forward. "No! Not blaming. Thanking you!" She smiled.

Beaver firmly put his paws on the table. "There's a prophecy: