3 - Lucy's Found

After breakfast the following morning, we gathered in a common room lined with bookshelves. Despite Peter's encouraging statement from last night, the weather was poor. The rain beat against the window, protesting against the protection they gave us.

I sat in the window seat with Lucy, racing raindrops, while the other lounged on the armchairs and couch in the middle of the room. Actually, Edmund was underneath an armchair, carving something with his knife.

"Gastro-vascular. C'mon Peter, Gastrovascular!" Susan had thought of a... fruitful game from the dictionary, in which you try to guess the origin of a word by only hearing it. Peter was the only one willing to amuse her by participating.

"Is it Latin?" He groaned.

"Yes!" Susan grinned, excited that her game was a sort of success.

"Is it Latin for the worst game ever invented?" Edmund spoke from under the furniture. Peter chuckled and Susan slammed the book closed with a scowl. Lucy stood from her place next to me, drawing my attention from the water drops.

"We could play hide and seek!" She suggested, walking closer to Peter. He rolled his head on the back of his chair to look at her.

"But we're already having so much fun." He said sarcastically, glancing at Susan. She only rolled her eyes at him.

"Come on Peter, please!" Lucy grabbed her brother's arm and shook it lightly, giving her best puppy dog eyes. "Pretty please?" Peter turned his gaze to me, where I now stood behind Lucy. I just shrugged.

He sighed and stood from his chair. "One, two, three.."

Lucy jumped two feet in the air with a grin, quickly grabbing my hand and dragging me from the room. From behind me, I could hear Edmund complain as he reluctantly ran as well. Lucy and I raced throughout the mansion, trying to find the best spot. I spotted a curtain across from us and pointed Lucy to it. She ran ahead of me towards it, but just before she reached the fabric Edmund shoved her back and pushed himself into the curtain.

"I was here first!" He sneered at her. She simply huffed and turned away, pulling me with her. Edmund grabbed my arm.

"Hey, wait! You can hide with me, Mae." He smiled and tugged me back. Lucy's grip on my hand lessened and a look of hurt crossed her eyes. I pulled my arm from Edmund's hold.

"No thanks, Ed." I made sure to give him a sharp glance before grabbing Lucy's hand again. He had been cruel to the poor girl ever since we arrived, and I wasn't going to reward him for that behavior. Lucy grinned and continued to pull me along.

We reached a set of three doors, and I pulled on one while Lucy tried another. Mine was unlocked, but the one Lucy tugged on didn't budge. She tried the one next to it, grinning to me as it unlocked under her fingers. We smiled and nodded at each other before entering the separate rooms.

The room I entered appeared to be storage. There were old lamps and covered chairs, and the room was coated in dust. I quickly slid under a small table that sat in the center and strained my ears to hear Peter's counting.

I barely made out his muffled 'here I come!' before I heard pounding footsteps outside of the door. How did he make his way to this hallway so quickly? My question was answered as I heard Lucy shout.

"It's alright, I'm back! I'm alright!" I pulled myself out from under the table, quickly running through the door. Lucy stood, out of breath, next to Edmund's hiding spot. He was peeking out with a snarl.

"Shut up! He's coming!" He whisper-yelled at the girl. I grabbed Lucy's hands and knelt to her level, turning her to look at me.

"What's wrong, Lu? Are you alright? Why are you freezing cold?" I ran my hands from her cheeks to her hands, both chilled as if she had been exposed to cold weather. Her face was flustered and her breathing was still heavy as if she had been running. There was no water on her skin or clothes, so she hadn't been outside. Lucy shook her head and swallowed as Peter stumbled into the hall with a smile.