14 - The Age of An Escapade

I was pulled from a peaceful sleep by frantic knocking at my door. I sat up quickly, placing a hand on my forehead as my vision swam from the sudden movements. I quickly called in, "Enter!" and pulled myself to a sitting position.

Instead of the servants that I was expecting, four bodies stumbled through the door.

"Happy Birthday!" The Pevensies shouted. I gasped. Had it really been an entire month since we were crowned? We've been so busy lately I completely forgot my birthday was so soon.

Lucy and Edmund ran forward, tackling me back onto my bed. I let out an "oomph" as they collided with me, but laughed nonetheless. Susan and Peter carried a very small cake with a couple of candles on it. I blew them out quickly.

"Sorry! We couldn't fit fourteen candles on there. But we'll have a bigger one at your party!" They grinned.

My smile slipped. "I said no parties, guys." Peter shook his head and sat down on the bed next to me, Susan joining him after placing the cake on my nightstand.

Peter rubbed my knee. "It's a private party. We haven't invited anyone from the kingdom-"

"Although I wanted to!" Susan interrupted. I rolled my eyes fondly at her.

"But we aren't because of your wishes. It'll just be us, Mr. Tumnus, the Beavers, and Sheba. We'll celebrate in the dining hall with a meal instead of a dance."

I sighed with relief. Sheba was my assigned guard, a female leopard with who I had grown especially close to throughout my short time as Queen.

Pulling the Pevensies into a tight hug, I thanked them. "All right, I love you all, but get out! I need to get dressed."

They laughed and waved goodbye while piling out of the door. I quickly slipped on a dark champagne pink dress from my wardrobe and pulled my long hair into a side braid. Patting down my dress, I made my way to the dining hall.

Decorations scattered the walls and table, very subtly and in an appealing way. I smiled widely as I sat next to Edmund and reached for the sourdough bread covered in sugar. I let out a satisfied sigh as I bit into it and sat back, making the Pevensies laugh.

"I knew we made the right birthday breakfast." Edmund chuckled, wiping some of the sugar from my cheek. I blushed and lowered my head, thanking him softly. We all ate breakfast animatedly and chatted for hours.

Afterward, Edmund pulled me aside and led me out to the garden. His hands fiddled with something behind his back, and his eyes flicked between mine nervously.

"Erm...Ed?" I asked after we stood in further silence for another minute. He laughed softly then shot his arm out between us, holding a small blue box with a golden ribbon on it.

I gasped and took it gingerly, pulling lightly on the ribbon. Once I lifted the top, my breath was caught in my throat. Inside was a thin gold necklace with a small circle pendant at the end. E+M was engraved into it. I put a hand to my chest as tears suffused my eyes.

I threw my arms around his neck. "Oh, Edmund, it's beautiful. Thank you!" He breathed a laugh and wrapped his arms around my waist tightly.

"I'm glad you like it. Here, let me help you." He pulled away and grabbed the chain, placing it around my neck softly as I turned. I lifted my braid out of the way and allowed him to snap it closed.

He cleared his throat softly and I dropped my hair, turning back around to him. The pendant sat on my chest perfectly, filling a space I had never known was there. It felt right. I touched the cool metal gently and looked at Edmund.

He opened his mouth but said nothing. We stood in silence again for a moment, my eyes darting unsurely between his. I realized we had both been leaning in slowly, and I cleared my throat and stepped back. He stepped back as well, rubbing his neck.

"Well, come on. Peter's got something for you in the stables." He grabbed my hand and dragged me through the castle and out the south entrance.

The three other Pevensies stood by the edge of the forest with radiating smiles. Peter held onto the reins of a brilliant white horse. I squealed as I approached them.

"For me?" They nodded. "Oh, you shouldn't have! He's gorgeous!"

Peter laughed as I rubbed the nose of my new steed. "I saw you at the Professor's, taking extra care to attend to the one there. I knew you would take great care of one here as well."

I tackled him, thanking him continuously before detaching to mount the horse. I swung my legs over the saddle and leaned forward, petting his neck.

"What's his name?" I asked. The horse shifted under me.

"My name is Adrian, Your Majesty." He huffed.

I bit my lip in embarrassment. "My apologies, Adrian. I was unaware that you were a talking horse!"

His gruff voice nickered a laugh. "Of course, Your Majesty I could not expect you to."

I smiled and leaned back, taking hold of Adrian's reins. "Well alright Adrian, mind a quick ride?" He reared in response, to which I laughed. "Race you, Pevensies!"

Adrian and I shot into the woods, the Pevensies mounting their steeds and quickly following. It wasn't long before Philp and Edmund had caught up, the young King sending me a wink before rushing ahead. I huffed and urged on Adrian. Hadn't he ever heard of letting the birthday girl win?

After spending the entire morning racing, the Pevensies and I made our way back to the castle for a grand lunch. After I had freshened up and changed my dress, I walked to the doors of the dining hall. The Pevensies were waiting, two on either of my sides. I looped my arms through Susan and Peter's arms as we entered.

My breath was stolen as I took in the decorations for the event. There was a lunch laid out on the table brimming with all of my favorite foods. Bouquets of flowers were distributed along the walls, and a faint melody was echoing from the band.

I sighed and looked to each Pevensie. "You are the most amazing family ever."

A/N: Isn't it hilarious that Macey turned 14 in chapter 14? I didn't even do that on purpose.