Chapter 4: The Actions

Laurie's P.O.V

I tapped my fingers rhythmically against the window. I knew that this wasn't going to get easier. I just had a fight with the man I wanted to love. I absolutely despised the man I was supposed to marry. I didn't have anyone to talk to. I wish I had my mother with me. I heard a small knock on my door and rose to my feet. I looked down at myself. An elegant black dress with long sleeves to cover what they've done. I took a deep breath before raising my voice ever so slightly.

"Come in.."

With that I saw Conner come in with Mathew standing at the door shaking his head. I knew Mathew absolutely despised Conner. No fault of his own... Actually it was funny, whenever I was clearing my head in the garden, Mathew would rant on and on to me about how much he despised him. Just that thought made me smile a little.

The prince walked forward all smiles and gently cupped my left cheek kissing the other one. I forced myself to smile back as I pulled him in a tight embrace. I saw Mathew leaning against the doorframe shaking his head with a smile as he rolled his eyes a bit. I shot him a smile that let him know I was okay before he left me alone... with him.

He offered me his hand and I hesitantly took it. I didn't want to reject him on our usual evening walk. We walked out of the room together. I couldn't help but think that this would be us in the future. Us together, always.. I couldn't even have a future I was happy about. I held my head high trying to keep my face free of emotions. Conner cleared his throat ever so slightly.

"So... how was the meeting with... uh that runaway prince...?" He asked, trying to keep the disdain out of his voice. I wanted to be absolutely careful with my words so I just shrugged a bit."It was fine... He refused to leave back to his kingdom.. I may try to convince him after our walk." I said keeping anything else out of that sentence.

He sighed a bit, his look was disappointed as he shook his head. "I seriously don't know why you would ever want to help him. It isn't like he wants him. " He said, rolling his eyes.

I bit my lip to keep from responding and I looked down. "He's a friend... I wouldn't want to leave a friend in need.." I said softly, gripping my arm tightly.

This caused Conner to roll his eyes again. "A friend? You really consider that... that.." He fumbled with his words thinking of a word to use. "That... No good unfaithful Prince... No you know what? He isn't even a prince, anyone who abandons their kingdom like that must be the most self centered ass anyone has ever seen!"

I pulled my hand away from him staring at him angrily. Sure Joel hatted me, but I wasn't about to let anyone talk badly about him. "That.. 'Unfaithful Prince' has a name! You will address him properly around me!" I said as I raised my voice. "Is it really hard to call him by his name?!"

I could see the rage in Conner's face start to build up. Though I had the upper hand, right now if a guard was to come in on him hurting me, I could have him executed on the front steps in front of the square. I raised my eyebrows at him, my expression speaking for itself. I wanted to see him try to hurt me. Other days he would wait to see if I would ever try to talk about Joel and then would hit me, Telling me he was doing me a favor by being here.

He finally put two and two that he could do anything to be and instead did a double take before harshly shoving me backwards, my skin getting pierced by a sword on display. I risked looking up at him only to note that he wasn't there. He must have already stormed down the hall. I rolled my eyes wiping the blood away from my arm, before heading downstairs to the dungeon.

I had to ignore my urge to flee to the dinning hall to eat something.. Anything. But I knew I couldn't. I had to fight that as well, instead I opened the doors to the dungeon seeing Joel in his cell leaning against the door. His eyebrows raised up in surprise before looking back down at everyone else.

I walked forward seeing what he was. Everyone else was asleep. "Why are you awake..?" I asked softly. He shook his head. "Just... Watching guard.. I refuse to let anything happen to them.."

I crossed my arms over my chest looking forward into his light brown eyes. In return he stared back at me and narrowed his eyes at my wound. "What happened...?" He asked softly. I shrugged. "Just got in another fight with my finance.." I said not wanting to address him by his name.

"I apologize for that.." He said stiffly looking sadly into my eyes.

Joel's P.O.V

Laurie hesitated before answering back to me. "... It's not too late.. You can still go back.." She said softly.

I shook my head. My home? This prison? What was the difference, I was still locked up, I would be getting hurt everyday. I saw no difference really. Hesitantly our hands brushed against each other. I hated feeling like this. It was stupid. I wasn't supposed to like her... She was the enemy... She betrayed us..

As I was having those thoughts her hands trailed down to the lock on the door. She bit her lip a bit as she grabbed the keys from the stand and slowly unlocked the door and threw it wide open

"Please... Help me pay for my mistakes... Let me fix this... Let me make you think differently."

I fought the urge to grab the door and slam it shut, but Instead I gently cupped her cheek. She leaned into my hand and dropped the keys with a thunk. I leaned forward ever so slightly, surprised I wasn't the only one. I gently pressed my lips against hers, realizing how much I fell in love with someone who I didn't even know.

"So it's true!?" I heard someone ask. I quickly pulled away and saw 2 people standing at the door. The king and the prince from the day before. I realized that they burst in on me kissing the crown princess. I felt her being pulled away from me and the door slamming back.

I saw tears streaming down Laurie's face as she tried to grab my arm but was dragged out of the Jail. I saw the prince start to lock up the cell again. He looked angry. I wanted to ask why but then I realized I just kissed Laurie in front of his face.

"I was right, you're just a no good ass hole who left his kingdom." He said, narrowing his eyes on me. I rolled my eyes.

"I'm sorry I had to find happiness." I shot out. He rolled his eyes at me. "Last time I checked your entire town thought they had found it.. How'd that work out for you?" He said angrily pointing at all my friends who were now awake due to the yelling that the King did.

I noticed Iv glaring at him quite a bit. Possibly because he woke her up. "If I ever find you communicating with her... I will fucking end you." He said leaning a bit closer to my face. I rolled my eyes, and saw Iv lean against her cell door. " Hey Joel... Send him over to me... I wanna try and break his face.." She said with a grin. I laughed a bit before nodding at him. "Try your best, Iv" I said as I pointed towards him.

"You all are no good ass's.. I hope to see you all executed soon." He said storming out of the prison; I smiled at Iv and we both laughed a bit.

At least I was trapped with someone who understood me. I leaned down against the wall looking down at my hands thinking about the events of today...

How did things get like this..

____

Yeh, I know I said 1 update a week-

BUT I HAVE PLANS, AND AM EXCITED FOR THE nEXT FEW CHAPTERS, PLUS IT'S RAINING SUPER HARD-

Also If I can, I would love to suggest a book for you guys to read. You guys should read a book called "The Selection" I love it so much, and was one of the inspirations for the very book you are reading right now-

Till next time Nerds!