Part 36

"Any minute now...it's almost time for them to arrive. I got my camera ready and these confetti poppers when she says yes! I've been waiting for this moment my entire life!!!!!" The man slowly walked backwards, trying to get a clearer view of the proposal setting, when he suddenly knocked into something behind--no someone behind.

"Ouch!" a femine voice exclaimed.

"AHH--" the man began to scream in fright.

"Shhhhhh--wait what?!--DAU!?"

"Mira?! What are you doing HERE?!" Basant whispered.

"I snuck here to take pictures...but what are YOU doing here?!" Mira replied.

"Wait Sumedh told you about his proposal?!"

"What do you mean 'his' proposal?! Mallika is the one proposing!!!"

"Mira what are you saying?! Sumedh had the plan of proposing since the past week!"

"No Dau no, Mallika is---FRIK!" Mira suddenly recalled the other decorated table next to theirs, they saw that day. "Sumedh is proposing ALSO?! At the same time??!!"

"Mira are you--wait what?! Also?!" Basant's eyes immediately went wide. He looked at Mira's shocked face and they both started scratching their head, thinking what's going to happen next. But before they could say anything, they heard the sound of footsteps and hid more deeply in the trees--unable to do anything.

~~

Sumedh and Mallika eventually reached right outside the small trail that led into the woods. Nearby, they saw a local street stall, selling food. Mallika had flashbacks of their first date. "Sumedh, do you remember? The first time you brought me here and I suddenly said stop because I was hungry? And you got super worried that something happened to me?"

"How could I forget?" Sumedh said, reliving the memory with Mallika. "The way you said stop made me think something happened to you. That was the day I learned to not keep you hungry - ever."

"Oh shut up," Mallika scoffed.

They both laughed out loud. The couple made their way onto the trail and started to walk through the woods. "Remember the first time we were here and you were just sooo excited," Sumedh started. "And because of that, you didn't watch your footing and slipped on the mud."

"God I was so scared. I thought I was gonna make a big fool out of myself in front of you. But then you caught me," Mallika responded, finishing the memory.

"I'll always be there to save you," Sumedh responded.

Hearing this, Mallika turned around to meet his eyes. "I know," she replied back. They shared a moment and then continued along the trail. Soon enough, they were at the waterfall. Sumedh felt nervous step by step as he walked closer to the proposal area. He looked up to see...another table?!

"Wait why are there two tables?" he exclaimed out loud. Mallika looked up, a tiny bit nervous about what how she's going to propose. I guess that other man didn't propose yet. No problem, right now it's time for our special moment. Mallika started walking towards her table, completely forgetting Sumedh. Sumedh was in a similar situation. He walked towards his table without looking at Mallika. They both started to turn around to say the special words but were suddenly shocked to see each other at opposite sides.

"Why are you standing there?! This is our table!" they both said at the same time. For a second, both of them were confused.

"Wait what?! This is mine!" Mallika said, confused.

"And this is mine!" Sumedh replied. There was silence, but then both of their eyes went wide as reality slowly dawned on them. "Wait! You were gonna propose to me," they both exclaimed out loud. "But I was gonna propose to you," they both said in unison.