Part 37

*A couple weeks later*

It has been weeks since the official word of Sumellika's proposal came out. Close friends and family were at Sumedh's place, for a small afterparty--except Sumedh and Mallika didn't know about it (it was a surprise). Mira had sent them on a date wearing fancy clothes while Basant kept watch outside the house to see when their car pulled in.

Eventually, when they stepped out of the car, Basant quickly sent a text to Mira so that everyone could hide inside. He quickly ran up to Sumedh's apartment for the shocking surprise.

Sumedh and Mallika opened the door to the apartment and saw that it was dark. They walked in, not suspecting anything.

"Ahh we're finally home. That was pretty exhausting!" Sumedh said.

"Yeah...it was." Mallika replied, stretching.

Sumedh suddenly caught hold of Mallika's arm, pulling her closer. "But it was nice spending some time with you.." he started.

"What are you doing?!"

"Loving my fiance, what else?" But just as they were about to come closer, there was a sudden interruption.

"AHEM! Umm...." Mira started, clearly feeling awkward.

"SURPRISE!!!" Everyone else screamed, coming out of their hiding spots and the lights turned on. Sumedh and Mallika looked around to see balloons, streamers, and a bunch of other party supplies. They quickly separated, fixing their clothing.

"Uh, umm, w-what is going on h-here?" Sumedh asked, blushing furiously. Mallika's face was the same shade of red, as she was looking at the suddenly "interesting" ground. Sumedh looked around to see his mother, father, and brothers. Great...how awkward was that. I don't even have privacy in my own apartment.

Mallika also saw her mom and dad. Ohhhh god. This is sooooo embarrassing....

Mira and Basant, seeing the couple feel a little awkward and embarrassed, decided to lighten things up. "Ok ok guys. We are going to do the cake cutting!" They brought out the cake and Sumedh and Mallika cut it. It had 'Golden Couple' written on it. They fed each other the cake and then went ahead and fed their loved ones as well. Everyone was congratulating them.

"Whose idea was this?!" Mallika asked, curious.

"Yeah, who's idea was this," Sumedh added, still hung up about the public affection they almost displayed before.

"Ah it was Mira's idea. She wanted to do something special." Basant replied, gleaming at Mira.

"Hmm, it's nothing--OH wait! I need to give you guys something!" Mira quickly went to the gifts table and grabbed a golden wrapped box. "I wanted to give this to you guys in person."

The couple opened up the wrapping and saw an album. On the cover page, was the first picture Mira ever took of them hugging, and the words 'Destined Forever' were written. As they flipped through the pages, they saw all of their memories Mira caught on camera: on set, the trip, all the way to their proposal. And finally the last page had a cute group picture.

"Wait a second, where did you get the proposal pictures from?" they both questioned, suddenly realizing.

"Ummm t-t-that's not the point," Basant quickly interfered. Mira nodded along, "Yeah yeah...just focus on the pictures, guys."

The couple still looked at each other nervously. Did they see the kiss?! Mira and Basant quickly realized why the two of them were uneasy. "We didn't see anything else after you guys put the rings on," Mira quickly started, Basant following behind. "Yeah exactly, we left right after."

"ANYWAYS, how did you guys like this gift?" Mira questioned, changing the topic.

Sumedh and Mallika gave each other a warm look and looked back at Mira smiling. They stepped forward and attacked her in a group hug. "No words...thank you!" they both replied thankful.

After this, their parents walked over. They bowed down to each of them respectively. "Aree aree, betiya per nahi chuti, woh toh gale lagti hai (Daughters don't touch our feet, they hug us instead.)," Sumedh's mother said, hugging Mallika.

"Mallika is soooo nice," Sumedh's brothers whispered to him.

"AEY, bhabhi hai teri (she is your sister-in-law)," Sumedh quickly corrected them.

As everyone was sharing their own heart-warming moments, the photographer interrupted.

"Sir, M'am...I will take a group picture now." Everyone gathered around. Mallika and Sumedh in the middle, Mira standing on a chair right above, with her arms around the two. Their parents on either side, and everyone else tried to fit in as they could.

"Ok smile everyone," the photographer said. Everyone smiled widely. For Sumedh and Mallika, heart-warming memories were flooding into their heads. They looked at each other's eyes and shared a deep smile.

Click

~ THE END ~

We hope you guys enjoyed this story, because we definitely loved writing this beauty. THERE WILL BE A LAST CONCLUDING EPILOGUE coming up which will wrap up this story: Just Like a Fairy Tale.