CHAPTER 10

Derrick stared into the washroom mirror, his mouth agape and his face all red and puffy. Back in the bedroom he could hear Della moving around as she tracked down her clothes and began dressing. He closed his eyes and hung his head, reaching blindly for the cold water tap.

"Hurry up, baby, I have to be out of this room by four." Della's voice rang through the suite.

He pressed the cold cloth over his face and groaned. Every part of him ached and he felt like he had been put through a giant blender. Della wasn't just pleased to have had the flowers, the lunch and the bracelet; Della was euphoric! Within one and one half hours in the suite she had exhibited an imagination Derrick thought existed only in adult comics and now he was afraid he might not walk, sit or even move again.

He pulled the cloth off and splashed more water on his face then used the hotel towel to wash and dry his body.

When he came out of the bathroom, Della was sitting on the bed, her eyes sparkling like the stones in her new bracelet and she jumped up and planted a huge wet kiss on his cheek.

"You were the greatest, Cutter."

"Were, is the operative word there. Christ, Della, you consumed me!"

"Plenty more where that came from, baby." She hurried him into his clothes then toward the door and he almost fell, unable to feel his legs.

Leaning against the elevator wall as he headed back up with his hard won information, Derrick wasn't sure he could manage the confrontation. He looked at his watch and the figures blurred. He would never achieve anything like that again; Della had left him an empty and scoured shell.

The elevator stopped and as the doors opened Milo French burst in, his face a thunder cloud. Before Derrick could move the doors closed and the two men gave one another incredulous stares as the elevator travelled back down to the lobby.

"You!" Milo blurted.

"You!" Derrick repeated.

********

Gloria listened to her brother's rant, wondering what Milo was doing running around town asking questions about the codes. Where did he get the idea that Grover called Victor?

"He said he knew what we were up to."

"How could he; don't be stupid, Grover."

"He found my room didn't he? This is all going south, Gloria."

"Listen to me, Grover. We are inches away from a huge windfall and you are not going to spoil it now. You're already late calling Victor back, so you just get right on that and call me back within half an hour." She slammed her phone closed and glared into space.

********

Victor listened to the caller deliver his final ultimatum, his eyes locked on Charlotte who was on an extension phone. Neither said a word until the man finished and then Victor asked for proof that he had the codes. He and Charlotte had decided to try this tack to delay for time; the caller wouldn't know that the lab had confirmed the theft.

"Three million dollars on your word, a total stranger, is not a deal I would make as a professional businessman."

Grover guessed something like this would happen; it only made sense, so, as planned, he had made another copy of just one file from the disk that he could use as proof.

"What hotel is closest to you?" Grover asked, knowing the answer in advance.

"The Addison, why?"

"Give me one hour then go to the desk at that hotel and ask for a package under your name. At exactly three o-clock I will be calling back and I expect you to be getting my money ready for delivery." He hung up and wiped his face. The mini bar was getting a major workout.