21 - No Need to Ask

The One Where You Do Not Really Answer

Before heading to the kitchen the next morning, you checked your phone. Last night's disaster was bound to be all over the news. You sat on the floor, scrolling through what the media caught during the chaos. Apparently Stain was caught and defeated by Endeavour, along with three Nomus. As expected of the number two hero, I guess.

What caught you by surprise were the casualties. Yes, you killed a few people in the heat of the moment, but as far as you could recall, you were not the cause of the death of 'Pro hero Native and one UA student.'

Upon further digging, you discovered that the student was your own classmate: Iida. Your phone slipped out of your hand.

Dead?

You were never close to him – heck, you barely liked him, but you felt terrible realizing his life had been cut short. And I did that to the people I killed as well.

You could not confide in Wook about how you felt about this. You definitely could not tell the League or anyone at school. Well...

There was Shoto, who supported you. Shoto, the one who had a shockingly supportive reaction after you confirmed that you were willingly to take the other road. Shoto, who was your only friend.

Except you wouldn't be able to see him in person for quite some time. Your mind wandered back to Wook. He hadn't done anything harmful to you – maybe he would actually understand your feelings.

Or you could just set those feelings aside and deal with them later.

You stepped out of your room and began your hopeless trek through the dark hall. You still hadn't navigated around it by yourself yet. Today would be the day! You knew the kitchen was somewhere to the right. Keeping your hand on the wall, you walked to the general "right" direction.

That first night, when Wook revealed how Van came to be, you were walking to the kitchen. You were too focused on his story to feel your way around the hall. Why was the hall so dark, anyways?

I wanna kiss Wook.

Yes. This was it. Yet another crush – you had too many in the past to keep count. Sure, he was stranger, sketchier and much older, but... Wook. While he had kissed you three times now, you hadn't done the same to him a single time.

But I'm his intern.

It wasn't like your past crushes had been successful, so this one would probably come to pass like always.

"Wandering... wandering..." you whispered to yourself in a sing-song voice. You were still having a lovely stroll through the pitch-black hallway. "... to-ta-lly lost..."

"(Y/n)! Lost again?" Van's squeaky voice chimed from behind you.

It took everything in you to not jump and screech. How did she manage to sneak up on you? You never heard her or Wook coming. "Yes."

"This way!" She stomped now, so you followed the sound of her feet. She was walking in the opposite direction in which you were going. You... had been going the complete wrong way.

"Faster. You're too slow."

You were a panting and sweating mess, trying to run without rattling the gun in your quaking hands. "This is," you choked on your words. "as fast as I c-" you cut off to breathe again. At last, the extent of your athletic abilities were being revealed to Wook.

As if you weren't already hot from moving around so much, the embarrassment of being exposed in such a way made it seem as if the room were an oven. You shot, and the bullet missed by a landslide. You came to a stop.