Chapter Forty

———Third Person Pov:

———
Third Person Pov:

"Red Avenger," Red hears someone say behind him, so he turns around to see Paul standing there with a new general pin on his overcoat.

"Yes Paul?" Red asks through his neck device, the device giving him a smooth and charming voice.

Red doesn't know Paul all too well, the only thing he really knows about him is that he used to work with Red Leader and they were close, besides that they're strangers. Paul on the other hand knows Red's secret but has been forced to never spill the truth to anyone but the people who already know, or he can consider himself dead by the hands of pure evil.

"General Winston has assigned me as your second in command, I used to be Red Leader's right hand man and he figures I'd be the right match for the Red Avenger as well," Paul says in his usual monotone voice and holds his hand out. "It's a pleasure to be working with you Sir."

Red wants to protest, but decides not to as he shakes his new colleague's hand, "The pleasure is all mine." They pull their hands apart and Paul looks Red dead in the eyes; like he's staring into the male's soul with a emotionless and frightening gaze, it gives Red a string of shivers down his spine.

"I take it you're not a fan of Red Leader," Paul says which makes Red blink a few times in surprise, how could he know such a thing?

"Well I don't hate him, but he failed to live in a simple war so it's quite embarrassing to have such a similar name as him," Paul's eye twitches as he tries not to reveal the truth, the man decides to give a riddle of sorts.

"He didn't die of war, he died by the act of a brutal betrayal," Paul says as if it were a poem, which confuses the new leader very much so. Before Red can ask what that means, Paul says, "I'm going to go check around base to make sure everything is in order. I will give you a full report later on, Red Avenger."

Red holds back his curiosity as he says, "You do that," Paul then solutes and walks away, Red watches him turn the corner and mutters to himself, "What the hell is that supposed to mean?.." Red shakes it off as he walks to his next meeting, still thinking about the puzzle that'll be stuck in his head the rest of the day...

Meanwhile at the Rebellion base; Tom and Luka have become good friends over the week, to the point that Luka has started calling Tom by his first name. Luka has helped Tom with the doomed stress immensely by reading his short stories to him and spending time with him as Tom does his daily deeds.

"So then I said, "Samara is just a weasel Ron! She can only go POP!" and he screamed when Samara did it again!" Luka finishes off his story and him and Tom both hysterically laugh in unison, they wipe the tears from their eyes continuously as they struggle to stop.

"OH MY GOD! That's priceless! What a idiot!" Tom exclaims as he tries to get a hold of himself.

"I know right! Everyone knows that weasels go pop!" Luka and Tom continue to walk down the hall as they share jokes and small comedic stories; once they enter the cafeteria, all the rebels look at Tom with surprised looks since they're not used to him smiling so much, it's been a long time since he'd smiled.

Luka and Tom grab their dinner and walk over to a table where Matt sits with a smile, they sit across from Matt and Luka tells some more jokes to his new group of friends.

But then a deliveryman rebel (Which is one of the newest positions in the Rebellion) runs up to Tom and holds a letter out to him, saying, "This just arrived for you Sir!"

"Oh?" Tom says and takes the letter, looking at the front to see who it's from. Tom's digital eyes widen and his face goes dark from from shock, everyone looks at him with confused looks.

"Who's it from?" Matt asks, having a feeling who it could be.

Tom looks up at Matt with a serious look, saying, "The Red Army."