5

Elijah

I got up in the night to go to the toilet, and ended up throwing up again, my stomach cramping; I leant against the bathroom wall and began to cry, because everything was so shit.

Even though mum and dad promised me it was okay, I still felt like shit.

"Sissy?"

Lauren plodded in and hugged me, patting my back.

"Why are you crying?"

"Because,"

"Because?"

"Because I'm a boy, I'm your brother, and I'm scared, and sick,"

"Oh. Not sissy, brother! Brother, why are you scared?"

"I just... I am,"

"Don't be scared of me,"

"I'm not, you are very lovely," I said, wiping my mouth, "You're a good sister,"

"What is your name if you are a boy? I didn't know you were a boy. I am very sad that I called you a girl,"

"I'm Elijah, and that's okay. I only just told people,"

Adorably, she nuzzled her head into my arm and yawned, then kissed it.

"Now I get two big brothers forever, and ever, and ever!"

"Yeah, you do. Do you think I will stay forever?"

"Yes. Mummy and daddy are super kind, and they cuddle me, and play with me so I have to stay here forever,"

There was a knock at the door and dad peeked round, Lauren bouncing across the room to him. He picked her up and kissed her cheek, then held his hand out and helped me stand.

"You can see each other in the morning, say goodnight,"

"Night night,"

"Stay here, Elijah,"

"You know his name," she smiled.

"I do, you're so good at it as well,"

Once he'd put her back in bed, he came back into the bathroom and took my temperature, sighing.

"You have a fever. I think you have a tummy bug buddy,"

"My throat hurts,"

"Come on, you need sleep,"

"Stay,"

I'd never wanted hugs or cuddles from anyone before, but I'd also never had such a caring parent to look after me while I was sick.

"Just this once,"

I crawled into bed and he laid beside me, holding me in his arms which was so special to me after today. After I told them something that no one else but Jasper had accepted before.

"Can I be confident in calling you mum and dad now?"

"I'd like to think so,"

"This wouldn't stop you adopting me if you were ever going to?"

"Not at all. Can you please try and sleep, Elijah? I don't want you getting any more poorly,"

Nodding, I curled into his chest and fell back to sleep, my shoulders so much lighter.

I was almost past feeling like I'd upset mum and dad, until I woke up to being sick again, but this time on dad.

And it kept coming.