17

Michael

"Your kids have destroyed our son," Crystal said agitatedly, "What if he re,"-

"Don't," I whispered, "Don't,"

"I just- he got here just over a week ago. Things were starting to go upwards for him. He was so excited on Friday that he had new friends. All he spoke about was the football and the jokes, and the walk to school today. His face when we said he could invite them over was the most joy I've seen in a while,"

"What damage got done?" one of the parents said, "Surely it couldn't have been that bad?"

"Two of his teeth were chipped, his stomach and back are black and blue- he had to have an MRI scan. There are cuts and bruises everywhere, and he is extremely swollen. The most damage was to his mental health, though," I said.

"We are so sorry. We are not allowing Cole to speak with any of those boys again,"

"So it's Jamie's fault?"

"We didn't specify, we said boys,"

"Well we are taking Dylan's phone off him,"

"Luca will be moving schools soon,"

"With all due respect, we do not care what punishment they get," Crystal said, "We hope that you teach them not to be so disgusting,"

"With all due respect," Jamie's dad said, "Your son must have done something to trigger them,"

"Our son was attacked for being transgender,"

There was a ripple of silence over the call and we let it happen, hoping it would sink in.

"And he is in our living room right now with our friend sobbing, and he can't stop sobbing, because your sons have made him feel disgusted in his own body, which is sick. He wouldn't eat, he won't speak, he smashed his mirror because he couldn't bear to look at his reflection after your sons mis-gendered him, and made him feel worthless. Actions have consequences, and boy are we saving your kids from a lot of them, but they still lie with Elijah," I said, squeezing Crystal's hand.

"This will stick with him for years, and if you think twice before educating your kids then you are just as bad. We're not pressing charges, but only because this needs to be growth,"

They all agreed and one by one they left the call, only Mattie's mum remaining. She shifted uncomfortably then grabbing a pen and paper.

"I will pay for whatever could help. A new binder, some comfort food, a new video game- I'm so ashamed. People in our own family are part of the community and we only teach our kids to love them... I want to help you guys somehow,"

"We don't want to take anything from you,"

"What is your address?"

"We really don't want anything, thankyou for your offer. We are going to go and see Elijah," I said, "Thanks for joining,"

She nodded and ended the call, Crystal holding me tightly- it was tough. But not as tough as Elijah grasping Luke's body like it would disappear, so we sucked it up and crouched beside him.

"Elijah, hey buddy,"

"I don't wanna go back to school, ever,"

"Okay," I soothed, "You can homeschool,"

"I was so excited, I've not felt this disappointed since my failed adoption,"

My heart sank, and I joined the hug, Crystal doing it too; Luke didn't mind, and Elijah tried to put his arm round us all.