The Dance and Halloween

Jamel and I were talking about the Rollerworld and planning things out when Ruby brought up the dance, "you guys ready for our first high school dance?"
"Just make sure to leave the cane at home, Jamel," Cesar said.
"It's a pimp stick," Jamel said.
"Even worse," I said.
"Agreed," Cesar said.
"I don't say how chains on guys are tacky or how hidden rose tattoos on the pelvic on girls is kinda slutty," Jamel said. Ruby and Cesar looked at Jamel weird, "what? You didn't notice the peek-a-boo tattoo on Ryan's hip?"
Cesar and Ruby shook their heads, "how'd you know?" Ruby asked.
"I saw it," Jamel answered.
"How long you 2 been doing that? If Uno or Spooky finds out. Jamel, you're a dead man," Cesar said.
I busted up laughing, "we're not sleeping together. He must've seen it under my shirt."
"I saw it the other day when she wore the crop top. What did you mean I'd be a dead man?" Jamel asked.
"Uno is her brother so obviously he'd have no problem killing a boy for having sex with his sister. Spooky, well, he'd just do it," Cesar answered.
Then Olivia and Monse sat down at the table, "you chicas ready for the dance?" Ruby asked.
"We're not going," Olivia said
"We won't be used as some sex objects. Neither should you, Ryan," Monse said then they got up and left.
"What the hell just happened?" I asked.
"No idea," Cesar said.
"Meet at Ruby's at 7?" I asked.
"Deal," Cesar smiled.
"Don't forget about me," Jamel said.
"Promise," I smiled.
After school we all walked together like normal and parted off like normal. When I walked inside Leon was home, "hey, Mano," I smiled.
"You got plans tonight?" He asked.
"Homecoming dance."
"Not now. You need to stay home. Some shit went down. The block is hot."
             "But it's my last homecoming dance."
              "Just do what you're told, if you argue anymore I'll have Sad Eyes come sit here," he growled.
                "Fine," I said and he left.
                       I waited til closer time to meet everyone and snuck out of the house. When I got to Ruby's Jamel was there with Abuela. I sat down and we all start talking about Rollerworld, "I made a dress for one of those boy's girlfriend once," Abuela says. I spaced out and watched t.v.
               "Is anyone even here?" Jamel asked.
            "No," Abuela said so we decided to leave.
                Jamel decided to play gentleman and walked me home. When I got to the door all the lights were on. I walked in and Leon was on the couch while Sad Eyes and Oscar were also there.
              Leon flew off the couch and hugged me, "where were you?" He asked.
                "Ruby's with Abuela and Jamel," I answered.
             "I told you to stay inside. The block was hot!" Leon yelled.
        "We were just going to the dance, but we got ditched so we sat with Abuela."
            "You leaving the house was reckless and highly unsafe. If something would've happened to you, I'd never forgive myself."
              "I'm sorry, Mano," I said and gave him a hug before going to my room.
               A few minutes later Sad Eyes walked in, "You okay, mama?" He asked.
              "I'm fine," I smiled. He nodded and left the room.
                 I was sitting on my bed in my PJs, which was just a long shirt, doing my homework when a couple hours later Oscar walked in, "You need something?" I asked.
              "Leon is passed out. I just wanted to check on you see how you're adjusting to the new life," he said.
             "I'm fine. I'm adjusting, I just need to listen to Leon, so he doesn't worry so much."
               Oscar nodded, kissed my forehead, then said, "I'm gonna head out. Goodnight."
         "Night."
                  A couple weeks later and it was Halloween, my favorite time of the year. Jamel and I were sitting at the lunch table when we were both called to the office. We walked in and the front desk secretary said, "I'm sorry for your losses."
         "Is Leon okay?" I asked feeling an anxiety attack coming on.
             "Your grandmother is picking you both us," she said.
                     Jamel and I looked at each other and walked out of the office to the front door, "my grandma lives in Tennessee," Jamel said.
                 "Mine's dead," I said. We walked out front to see Abuela, "what are you doing?" I asked.
             "Get in. I found the receipt," she said.
              She drove us to some spot in town and we got out, "who is she?" I asked.
           "Use the google to figure it out," she said and left us.
                   Jamel looked up Rose, "she lives in Brentwood," he said.
          "You know we have to walk back, right?" I asked.
                      "Damnit Abuela," Jamel yelled and we started walking back.
             By the time we even got close school was almost out, only an hour left, "I'll see you later," I said and walked home.
                   When I walked in Leon looked at me then checked the time, "what're you doing home?"
           "I ditched," I said. He just shrugged and I went to my room.
            I got a text a little while later from Monse:
    Monse: shut in tonight at Ruby's
Ryan: I'll be there hopefully. Gotta clear it with Leon!😁
                    I left my room and walked into the living room, "can I got to Ruby's for a shut in?" I asked.
               "Yeah, that's fine. Be safe," he smiled.
               "Always," I smiled. I went back to my room and changed into black shorts, and a crop tank top and left the house.
                When I got there, they were talking about going out instead, "it's not safe," Ruby said.
                "Brentwood," Jamel and I kept saying.
                 "Why not Brentwood?" Olivia said.
               "Great idea. I bet they have full size candy bars!" Jamel said.
                 "How we gonna get there?" Ruby asked.
            "Taken care of, Jamel," I smiled.
             Jamel grins and gets a hold of Abuela and she drops us off in Brentwood.
            "We should split up so we hit more houses," Ruby said, "I'll go with Olivia."
               "I got Ryan!" Jamel yelled.
             "I'll go with Jamel," Monse said.
            "I got Ryan then," Cesar smiled.
           "Why don't you guys come with us?" Olivia asked.
          "Uhm, sure," I smiled.
                Ruby and Cesar hung back while Olivia and I walked ahead, "what's the deal with you and Cesar?" Olivia asked.
            "Nothing. We're just friends," I answered.
            "You 2 are too close to be just friends."
                 "We both sorta come from the same background with both our brothers in the Santos, so we just got closer then me and the others."
                 Ruby and Cesar caught back up to us and Cesar dropped his arm over my shoulder, "we should crash that party," Olivia said.
           "Sounds dangerous," Ruby said.
          "Excuse us," Cesar smiled then pulled Ruby back. A couple seconds later they came back and we went to the party.
                When we got there we got some drinks and was just chilling. Olivia parted and went to the bathroom when a guy from Brentwood walked over to us dressed like a cholo, "like the makeup? My mom did it so it won't smudge. And boom, hat even says Freeridge," then Olivia came back with a juice, "where'd you get that?"
                "The fridge. I wanted something without alcohol. Sorry," Olivia answered.
               The boy flipped out and soon they started egging us. We were running when we ran into Monse and Jamel, "run," I said and shoved them in front of me taking their eggs. We stopped about a block away.
                    "Let's just go home," Monse said.
                 "We have to go back and do something about those Pendajos!" I growled.
               "We just need to find a way home," Ruby said.
          "Jamel, get a lift," Monse said.
          "Those are for emergencies only!" Jamel said.
             "Being stuck in Brentwood is an emergency!" I said rolling my eyes.
                "I got it handled," Cesar said.
                "Don't get him involved," I said.
          "To late," Cesar said.
                       We waited a couple minutes then walked back to the house. The fake cholo said, "oh, I get it. You think your hard?"
        "I'm not, but he is," Cesar answered.
            Then Oscar rolled up. He looked over at me, then got in the kid's face. He licked his thumb and wiped the fake tear drop away then rubbed his, "this shits real," he said.
          "What do you want?" The boy asked pissing himself.
           I walked over and grabbed an egg and smashed it on his head. I was about to lash out when Cesar grabbed me and pulled me back. The gang got a bunch of candy and the juices, and a ride back to Freeridge. Olivia, Ruby, Jamel, and Monse rode in the back, while I sat between Oscar and Cesar in the front. Oscar dropped us all off at Ruby's then left.
                 We all stood outside for a few, then I decided to call it a night, "I'll see you guys tomorrow."
          "Be safe. Let me know when you get home," Cesar smiled and hugged me, I nodded and left.
                   I was halfway home when a car pulled up beside me. I looked over and saw it was Oscar, "Get in," he said. I nodded and he dropped me off at home.
          Leon was waiting for me when I walked in. He saw the egg yolk staining my top, "what happened?" He asked.
                 "Brentwood assholes egged us.  Cesar texted Oscar. He handled it then brought us back, that's who dropped me off," I answered.
           "It's probably a good thing it was Spooky and not me."
        I smiled, "it's a good thing it wasn't, Uno," I laughed.
        "You don't call me by my street name. My kid sister won't be anyway."
              I kissed his cheek," goodnight, hermano. Té amo," I smiled.
             "Goodnight, mija. Té amo," he said kissing my forehead. Then I went to my room and went to bed.