A Sight for Sore Eyes (Yamaguchi)

Warnings: Pretty much straight up angst and swearing.

Word Count: 5,916 words

Note: I just want to say that I love Yachi a lot, but she was just the first person that came to mind without me having to make an OC

EDITED: 10/2/2021

*******

"Fuck, it's cold today," Y/N said, and he rubbed his arms through his uniform jacket. It was May, and the heat was rising outside, but he always complained about how cold it was inside.

"Are you always cold?" Tsukishima asked, and Y/N rolled his eyes at him. Even though there was some form of friendship between them, Tsukishima pissed him off at times. "Bring your hoodie to school at least."

"You can borrow my volleyball jacket, L/N," Yamaguchi said, which prevented Y/N from snapping at Tsukishima. Yamaguchi quickly got his team jacket out of his bag and handed it over to Y/N with a soft smile.

The jacket was warm without Yamaguchi even needing to wear it, and it made Y/N wonder if it was just that warm in Yamaguchi's bag. Y/N quickly stripped off his uniform jacket to put on the new jacket, which instantly encased him in warmth. Part of it was the warmth from the jacket itself and the other part was from the warmth of his heart as he thought about how he was wearing Yamaguchi's jacket.

"Thank you so much, Yamaguchi," Y/N said, and his face grew hot at the thought that boyfriends share jackets like this. They weren't boyfriends though.

"It looks better on you than it does me," Yamaguchi said, and Y/N's face only grew hotter at the comment. Tsukishima looked between them with an unimpressed expression, and Y/N wondered if it was because he knew Y/N had a crush on Yamaguchi.

"Won't it get too hot when you put your uniform jacket over it?" Tsukishima asked as he raised an eyebrow. "Can you even get your uniform jacket on while wearing that one?"

"I can always just give it back to Yamaguchi, but I don't think it'll be a problem," Y/N said with a forced smile. Sometimes he wondered if they were always fighting for Yamaguchi's attention while Yamaguchi had no clue. "But I have been shivering all morning."

Lunch went on and Yamaguchi kept looking over at Y/N, as if it were too painful to look away. When Y/N went to take off the borrowed jacket, Yamaguchi grabbed his hand to make him stop.

"You don't have to give it back just yet," Yamaguchi quickly said, and he let go of Y/N's hand. "You said you were cold, so just bring it by practice when you're heading home."

Y/N tried to read Yamaguchi's gentle eyes, but he gave up and simply smiled as he nodded. Y/N pulled his uniform jacket over it and felt like he could actually make it through the day without freezing. He said his goodbyes to Tsukishima and Yamaguchi before he went to his class.

It was nice wearing Yamaguchi's jacket, because it made him feel as if he were being hugged so tightly to where Y/N could just breathe him in. He knew it was weird to feel like that, but the smell of cologne, sweat, and something else he could only define as smelling like volleyball overwhelmed him slightly.

Wearing the jacket made Y/N feel special, because Yamaguchi wouldn't let anyone wear his jacket. He always made the excuses of how he didn't want anyone to lose it or get it dirty, so Y/N being able to wear it made him feel almost as if they were boyfriends. People could see them and think they were together, but they weren't together. Y/N was too scared to say anything to his straight best friend.