17. Nothing -1

Dhaarya sped through the long corridors of the palace with their opulence and splendour. All she needed now was solitude.

She clutched the large railings of the secluded balcony, catching her breathe. The dupatta covering her head swayed in the evening breeze. The balcony looked on far across the kingdom, there were some little children playing in the royal gardens, the servants were scurrying about, the soldiers changed positions at the palace boundaries far across, several citizens dotted the streets outside the palace wall- Dhaarya watched them all aimlessly.

She finally let her tears fall. She had lost her aim, the purpose that had brought her here, that made her hold on to the job despite the odds, that made her forget the pains, the sadness of being alone. 

She scratched the back of her neck irritated, her dense curly hair had grown a lot since she arrived here and there had been no way for her to cut it off.

She wanted to scream but knowing it would be foolish, she resorted to a few muffled sobs. But contrary to her expectations, this did not go unheard.

"Dhaarya"

A deep voice called tentatively from behind her.

Her shoulders stiffened. She knew that voice and it was the last voice she wanted to hear at the moment.

"What happened now?" she asked, a carefully restrained anger waiting to explode drenching her voice.

"I was wondering if you were facing any problem"

She was taken aback by the lack of sarcasm or arrogance in his speech. She couldn't stop herself from turning around to face him, disregarding her face still moist from tears.  She saw his eyes widen in shock as he took quick steps towards her, concern written on every feature on his face.

"Dhaarya what happened? Did someone hurt you? I will kill them immediately" he exclaimed angrily.

She remained quite. This was so unlike the arrogant and irritating prince.

"Dhaarya is it because of what happened at the training arena?" he asked softly.

"Uh...no...no" she said, quickly wiping away her tears "It is nothing...nothing at all..."

She  turned her face away from him again, leaning forward from the balcony railings.

"Aaa" she let out a sudden cry of pain. She looked down at her right hand. A thorn from the rose vines covering the railings had pricked the tender skin between her two fingers.

"Dhaarya!" he cried "Let me help—"

But she had already pulled the thorn out before he could intervene.

"It is alright. There is nothing for you to worry about" she said quietly, dabbing the wound with then end of her duppata to stop the bleeding "It is nothing—"