Chapter Fifteen

Loretta was beginning to feel sick. Of everything the man before her has said, she couldn't boost of having the understanding of any. She placed her head on the office table before her and let out a loud cry, her head ached. She had succeeded in scratching out the neatness of her hair as it scattered on her face. She looked terrible. Her life was a totally mess.

She did not know for sure why she had chosen to shed tears of all things to do. She had a mixed feeling of guilt and shame with a drop of disappointment and failure.

She never wanted to honor the invite but Cynthia talked her into it. She regretted letting herself be convince to do it. It was more like a conspiracy.
She turned  to Cynthia, she seemed happy.

" This is something i should be happy about" Loretta bit her lip.

But she knew better than to be happy . she would going into the worse part of her life.

   Her glance rested on the seven years old boy that occupied Cynthia's lap. He did not seem so much happy but even his fake smile glowed.

    He was a duplicate of her mom, with his blond hair curly hair and his obviously soft skin. After so many years of living in loneliness. Someone finally showed up as her brother.

That sting of guilt kept growing. It was the same child she had asked her mother to get rid of. How will she face him when he finally realize she wanted him dead.

" Ma'am!" the man called out .

" We have done our bid, you sign this place and pay up" he said pointing to the button of the page.

Loretta looked stunned. she had to pay Two million naira to take her brother home.

" This money, Mr..."

" Frank" He completed

" Mr Frank, the bill is too much on me, It is not like i own a house of my own, I squat at a friend's " she whispered.

" I am sorry ma'am, but it is not negotiable. It is a signed agreement "

"what worthless Agreement are u talking about " she bang the desk.

" I have never made an agreement with you, so what are you saying " She asked with her arms open.

Mr frank passed a file to her.

" Seven years back, Your mother made an agreement. Minutes before she passed out, she left this child in our custody, we were to take care of him until this age and now you, Miss Loretta Douglas, have to ease us of the child's responsibility and pay up for services rendered. "

"I don't have the money!!" she yelled

" what part of that are u finding difficult to understand" she cried.

Cynthia held her as she became violence.

" you don't have to act this way" she said in a low tone.

" I am very happy we have him and expect same from you"

" You don't get it,do you?"

" The money on me is what i have been saving for studies, I'm suppose to happily give it out in exchange for a load of a child? .

" Of course, that is what you should do, as a caring sister, It is called sacrifice "

She turned to the child, Mr frank said he was seven but he looked ten, nobody seemed to understand, he wouldn't be looking so healthy when he finally join them.

His innocent looks stroke her heart. She was going to pay up to make up for one thing that made her guilty.

" I am only doing this because,I feel so terrible that i wanted him dead years back" she snapped and walked back to Mr frank.

It was difficult to decide the cause of the hatred that was burning within her. Not sure if it was self hatred or it was for her young innocent brother.

She had chosen to play dumb on their long drive home,but the conversation between Cynthia and kelvin caused a rumbling in her stomach.

"My mom's name is Cynthia, I heard she was as beautiful as me" he replied in his tiny enticing innocent voice

" I know Loretta doesn't like me, But I am glad she's taking me with her
Nevertheless." he added sadly.

" I am sorry kelvin, but you would have done worse in my shoes" Loretta found herself defending.

" You don't have to apologise, God owes me an apology for bringing me into our family "

There was a soft spot within her that got touched by his words, she didn't hate him, she only hated the fact that He wont be happy around. She wished he could understand.

" Even if you're gonna deprive me of everything, just as you have deprive me of the joy of having an elder sister by showering so much hatred and making me look rejected, do not deprive me of education."

"I don't hate you....I..I..."

" I don't want to grow into a sadist like you" he interrupted.

Loretta held her breath as warm balls of tears rolled down her chin. Was she really a Sadist ?

"No!" she disagreed.

She wasn't all she have done was strive to change her story.

"Shhh!" Cynthia hissed

" Don't be so rude to your sister, you need to be in her shoes to understand how it feels"

" I am sorry!" kelvin apologised and buried his face in his palm.

Loretta glared at him, She was sorry for her actions, She wanted to hold him up and give him a hug but felt she had better let him be .

She realized she had messed up, she had to correct things and change his impression.

"I wont deprive you of education, i will do anything to get u educated, you really don't have to earn up like me "

She relaxed her head against the glass of the moving car.
" And i will do anything to win back your love" she muttered.
" Anything!" she added .

She was going to sacrifice her education, it had to go on a pause, For her brother's. It would be an apology for ever wishing him dead. She prayed silently she gets forgiven some day.