I'm breathing fine

You are my home, Jo Wilson.

                                                         I never stopped loving you, Alex Karev.

No, no, no I can't send that. I quickly delete my text message. I can't tell him I still love him. One week, he's been back in my life for one week and I'm already a hot mess. I need a drink. Or therapy. Or maybe I'll ask Callie if I can scrub in on a surgery. I may be an attending general surgeon but I still remember a good deal about ortho. 

"Jo?! Jo! Where were you last night? I thought we were going to meet at Joe's?" 

I turn around and see Amelia Shepherd rushing over to me. Uh, oh how do I explain that? I had sex with my ex-husband, again. Yeah, no. I can't tell her. She'll think so low of me! Okay sleeping with Alex was not the best decision but it happened so I guess I should suck it up. 

"Um, I fell asleep." I lie. Hoping Amelia buys it.

"Haha, yeah right. I want the truth. Now, Wilson!" 

She didn't buy it. Shit, I'm screwed. Nah, she won't judge me, I should just tell her. Nope, I can't! 

"I'm telling you the truth! Alex left and then I put the kids to bed and was about to call the nanny but I fell asleep on the couch."

She looks me over from head to toe with a weird look on her face. "Hell, no. Jo, you didn't! Please don't tell me you slept with Alex again!" she exclaims.

Uh oh. Damn it, I keep forgetting how well she knows me. I didn't tell her, she just assumed. So maybe I can lie and say that I hooked up with someone else. She knows, I don't know how but she always knows. I had sex and I can't lie about.

"Okay fine, you're right. I did hook up with someone but it wasn't Alex."

"Ooh, who was it?"

I panic and blurt out, "Schmitt." No, no no, why him? Shit, he's gay. I mean I have had sex with him. Just not since he realised he likes guys. Of course I don't have a problem with being gay. To be honest, I was quite proud of him when he came out.

"Jo, Schmitt likes men. Last time I checked, you're able to carry babies and are therefore not a human male." she states in a matter of fact kind of way. "It was Alex wasn't it?"

I'm about to answer when we both get a page to the ER. Silently we half run half walk to the pit. On our way we pass Schmitt and I really hope Shepherd doesn't notice. I'm wrong. Again.

"Hey Schmitt, did you have sex with Jo again?" 

At those words, the young resident looks like he's waiting for the neuro surgeon to say; haha gottcha! But then realised she was serious. "Um no, Dr. Shepherd. Jo and I were a one time thing."

"Okay lets keep going, we have a trauma waiting for us." I say and grab her by the arm, hauling her with me.

"You lied! You totally lied! I mean, I knew you did, this is just confirmation," she squeals into my ear, making me flinch. "give me the details later!"

We don't mention the subject while working on the patient. A twenty-two year old female who fell from her balcony. Her neuro exam was fine but I had to stay to repair some serious damage done to her abdomen. It was a tough surgery but I think she'll make it.

"Hey Jo, I'm sorry but can you please not tell anyone that we had sex again. What we had was great but it's NEVER going to happen again and I don't want people getting the wrong idea."

"Oh Schmitt, I would never sleep with you a second time, trust me." I reply to him but cringe once I realise how that came across. "I didn't mean it like that. It's just, once you've had delicious italian pizza, you don't go back to stale bread. Okay that sounds bad too. Alex is at a complete other level than you, that's all."

"Wow. Comparing sex with me to stale bread. That definently boosts a man's confidence."

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean it that way," I appoligize then freeze. Oh oh, I said Alex. I basically told Levi that I hooked up with my ex. I start to panic. What do I do? 

The younger doctor smirks at me. "It's okay, it was pretty obvious it was Alex you were with." He gives me a friendly smile then bumps my shoulder lightly. "Dr. Karev was in town and the night before he leaves, you have sex with a mysterious guy who's name you won't say. That's obviously Alex. Anyway, I have to get home. See you tomorrow!" 

..................................................................

"Hey you! Give me details! Don't worry Meredith and Maggie aren't home." 

I haven't even walked through the front door when Amelia Shepherd apears in at the entrance to the house. I sigh and throw my bag on the floor. It's quiet, the kids must already be asleep. I walk to the couch and motion for the other surgeon to come sit beside me. 

"The kids were in bed and we were about to watch a movie. I  guess I had gotten comfortable with him in our lives and didn't want him to leave. I ot all emotional and started crying. It felt like losing him all over, you know?" I take a deep breath and continue telling the story. "He went to get beer and when he came back he saw the tears streaming down my face. He sat down beside me and tried to comfort me. I looked up at him, he looked down at me. Then he leaned in and we kissed. At first it was soft and sweet. Like a coming home song but then it got rougher and more urgent. One thing led to another and we had sex."

"Wait. Was it on the couch?"

I nod.

"Eeewww ew ew. I'm sitting on the place where you had sex and I bet you didn't clean it afterwards." she whines and acts disgusted.

Of all things that I said, that's what she retains. I laugh, an actual laugh. Not a fake one. She never fails to make me laugh even if I'm in a dark situation. For a second my mind goes back to when I was pregnant with Brooklyn. Amelia was my rock. I made it through because of her.

"Jo, be honest. Are you still in love with Alex?"

I nod my head slowly, tears threaten to spill from my eyes. "Yes, I think so. I know it's so stupid."

She gives me a small smile and wraps her arm around my shoulder. "It's not stupid. Alex was your great love. I'd be worried if you didn't feel anything at all  for him."

"I still love him. And it hurts like hell." I sniffle.

Poor Schmitt lol. This is something I haven't really talked about but you probably should know. So Jo lives with Mer, Maggie and the kids. Amelia lives with Link and mini Link but they hang out (and sleep) at the frat house a lot. Jo still owns the loft but she rents it out to Schmitt because he couldn't find a place to stay after his break with Nico. Oh and Callie, Sofia and Arizona moved back to Seattle.

Yay, here's chapter 2! What do you think? 

 In this story Amelia is like Jo's person along with Link. But every girl needs that one girlfriend, right?  I really wish we could see more of a friendship between these two in the show! 

Please excuse any typos. Yall know I don't reread my chapters much before I publish lmao

Make sure to vote and comment!