CHAPTER FOUR

KAELA
pov

"Shut up, Who wouldn't care about you."

THE SAME WORDS replayed in my head the whole night. It's not much, Well, others wouldn't think so, But it meant a lot to me, considering I've always lived with the thought that no one cared about me. He probably didn't mean it, It slipped out of his mouth somehow, So I didn't get my hopes up too high. Nothing much happened later that night, I found out that Benny has a pet parrot, He thinks she doesn't like him though because she's always biting him. I told him it was just an act of love, Pretty sure he thought I was crazy.

Benny invited me to the sandlot again, of course, I accepted the offer. The following morning I got up bright and early, I decided to make some snacks for the boys so the same incident won't repeat itself. As I was packing everything up into ten, little, individual bags, there was a sudden sound of movement. A light bang against some furniture, I turned my head and saw Brandon slowly making his way towards me. He was rubbing his hip and winced as he approached me.

"The corner got me." He groaned jokingly. I smiled and let out a soft laugh, He looked at the bagged food and gave me a rather quizzical look.

"I'm bringing them snacks. No biggie." I explained to him. He rolled his eyes and exaggeratedly sighed. "You're too nice. That's your problem."

"Too nice? What's wrong with that?"

"Everything. Come on, Kae. Last time you were all nice and stuff to someone what'd they do, They used you. You can't be too nice, Especially if it's to a bunch of boys."

Used me. He mentioned something I never wanted to remember. It was like he unlocked a forbidden memory that was never meant to be opened again. The thought of it made me gag inside. "They're not just a bunch of boys." I immediately defended. "They're my friends. If you met them I think you'd actually like them."

"Yeah right. A bunch of kids your age, It's like caring for a daycare. No way."

I placed all of the food and drinks into a bag and grinned at him. "See you soon." As the words left my mouth he smiled, He plants a kiss on my cheek then helps fix the tangled straps that I was barely hanging onto.

As I walked to the door, He said one more thing before I opened it, "Don't be too nice."

As my hand gripped the door knob and turned it, It immediately retracted back and I turned around as footsteps from the hallway began growing louder and louder.

"Where the hell are you going Kae? It's early." My dad loudly groaned. He extended his arms up and towards the ceiling then proceeded to stretch every way possible.

"I'm going to the field."

His arms dropped along with the smile on his face. It turned into a frown, then into a scowl. He sighed and shook his head. "Again? Really? Why so early?" He complained.

"Rich come on! It's summer!" My mom exclaimed as she walks into the living room, the source of all the commotion. My dad glared at her and he motioned his hand to let me go.

"Don't be out too late." Was all he said before he walked into the kitchen. My mom lightly grinned at me as a sign of pity. I shrugged my shoulders in response and headed out. The sun was barely coming out but there were still some clouds covering it.

As I made my way into the sandlot, There was no one there, Well, Except for Benny of course. He was practicing his swing and stopped as he saw me. A smile formed on his face and he started jogging towards where I was.

"Good morning!" He said cheerfully.

"Morning. What time did you get here?"

"About ten minutes before you did."