eleven

┎┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┒chapter eleven: beards and fedoras  ┖┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┚

┎┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┒
chapter eleven:
beards and fedoras
┖┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┚

ELYSAR HAD THOUGHT a lot about Obi-Wan when she was away. He was, for the most part, a passing thought whenever she did something objectively idiotic. In those moments, she would imagine him roll his eyes and say in that clipped, sarcastic manner of his, "Do you really think it is wise, Elysar?" Even if she didn't think it was wise, Elysar did it anyway just to spite him. How dare he tell her what to do?

Sometimes, though, she would remember his tight-lipped smile, the soothing tone of his voice which came in stark contrast with his other, annoyingly patronising one that Elysar couldn't stand and yet secretly liked. It was strange to have missed someone for so long and then to see them right in front of you; smirking at you — the object of your desperate pining.

"Kenobi," Elysar greeted primly,"Or should I say Master Kenobi?"

Obi-Wan shook his head, a small smile on his face, "I am not yet Master, Elysar," he looked up, eyes studying her face with such intent, Elysar felt a faint blush tinge her cheeks, "You look well."

"You...have a beard," she offered dumbly.

Obi-Wan stroked his neat-looking facial hair the same way Elysar had seen him do in the training pit. It really suited him, she thought, that weight of responsibility.

"You didn't leave," Obi-Wan noted thoughtfully.

"No, I didn't."

"And you are here. Five years later." It was hard to miss the accusation in his voice. Not that Obi-Wan was trying to hide it, really, with his arms crossed over his chest in an awfully belligerent stance. As much as Elysar wanted to laugh it off with a witty retort, she couldn't allow herself to do it. Obi-Wan had every right to be mad.

"I...For what it's worth, I'm truly sorry," the words froze in the air between them. Elysar cleared her throat, "I never got the chance to thank you. For saving my life," there was no need to clarify it; still, she had to somehow fill the din of silence.

Obi-Wan stared at her, his expression thoughtful, almost serene, "You could've done it five years ago."

"Yes, but I didn't."

"Why did you leave, Elysar?" There it was. The question she had been dreading whenever she entertained the idea of coming back.

"Because..." Elysar let out a shaky sigh, "because I couldn't stay."

Obi-Wan said nothing, his eyes still trained on her. Elysar could see he wasn't reassured by her half-hearted lie; he wanted to know more, to ask more. She wished she could hear what he was thinking in that moment — what was hiding behind those velvet, emerald eyes?