Chapter 7

I punch him in the face before he can bring the knife down.

 He stumbles backwards, but catches himself. He readies himself to swing again, but I twist his wrist and arm behind his head, and the knife drops. I dive for it and stand up. I back away enough to regain my balance. He runs for me, and I pull back to stab him. I can't. Instead, I kick his stomach, which pushes him backwards, and he falls to the floor, back against the wall.

"Please, Kenzie, it's me. Don't do it. Please." Tears fill his eyes, and I lower my knife. He stares at me, pleads for his life. It's not him, it's a test.

I crouch down in front of him, and put my hand on the wall, right next to his head. I scan his face. "Please. Don't."

I pull back, and stab between his clavicle, because his knees were in the way of his heart.

I watch as the blood pours out of his mouth, and his limp body falls to the floor. He chokes, and tears fall out if his eyes. Horrifying. He stops breathing, he's dead.

"Good job, Kenzie. You didn't lie on the floor and cry this time."

It's Joshua on the intercom.

"I didn't cry."

I'm still staring at Newt. Please don't be him. The door opens, and reveals Joshua, holding a clipboard. "Well, in your dreams, you did show slight signs of the Flare. But, then your leukocytes started fighting it off. You did realize Newt was not real, and you did fight him, because you knew it wasn't him, therefore, had hope that you would make it out alive. Congratulations, on your first day of training. Sleep well."

Sleep well? What the shuck? Wait- "How long was I out this time?"

"Hmm...five hours. Again."

"So I'm done?"

"Yes." He turns around, and leaves. I take one last look at Newt, leave the knife on the floor, and exit the room. Newt is out there, and when I see him, I run to him, and I hug him. I burry my face in his chest. He's warm, and he holds me tight. He kisses my head. Did he do that before the Maze? That's the second time he has openly done that. Is it a habit? How many times had he done that?

“I love-" he stops himself, "Good job."

I feel something in my heart, and I wish he had finished that. Do I love him?

I let go, because it was obvious he didn't want to be the one to do it, and I turn around. He follows me, and I don't mind this time.

Judging by the hours I had been out, it was almost six.

While in the elevator, I remember. He always kissed my head when we hugged. I wonder if he remembers that. Of course he does.

I look over at him. He's been staring at me. He doesn't look away, just smirks at me. The elevator door opens, and I walk out. I walk over to grab a tray, but he grabs one before I can, and gives it to me. Kind of weird to act like that, when I just murdered your clone. We sit at the same table we usually sit at.

"You knew that wasn't me then?"

"Of course I did. You told me you would never hit me."

He tries to hide his smile, and looks down at his food. We don't talk the rest of our meal. He throws away my trash, and I watch him as he does. I see his limp. And my mind traces back to when he jumped of the wall. And I notice I'm frowning. Newt notices it to when he walks up, "What's wrong."

"Hm?" I act like I don't know why he'd asked that.

He walks me to my room.

"Night," I say as I open my door.

"I watched you during testing," I stop opening the door. "You would flinch, and my only guess was that you were 'waking up'. I wanted to go in and hold your hand. They told me no, of course. And the more I thought about it, it seemed like a bad idea, because I told you I wouldn't go in there. Well, I told you I wouldn't hit you, but just in case." And it's at this point, that I think I truly love him again. "It killed me to know that you were having such terrible dreams. I wish I could help. I wish it were me. If we could switch-"

"No. No, you don't know what it's like. You're sleeping, and you don't know it. Then your being attacked by the one you love and you don't even..." Did I just say that?

He notices, not only that, but he pulls me in, kisses me lightly, and leaves. He walks to his room without looking back. I'm guessing he either regretted that, or it took everything inside him to do it. Either way...wow.